Diarrhea, or in a simple way, diarrhea in a dog is an unpleasant phenomenon, which of course needs to be combated. In normal condition, the dog goes to the toilet 2-4 times a day, more often, of course, this happens twice - in the morning and in the evening. But sometimes a strange thing happens - the dog starts whining, spinning in one place, asking for a walk.
In most cases, this behavior is associated with an intestinal upset, which is accompanied by loose stools. In what situations can a pet be relieved of diarrhea at home, and when - only with the help of a veterinarian?
Causes of Dog Diarrhea
Dog owners are interested in how dangerous diarrhea is for a pet? There is no single answer here, it all depends solely on the cause of diarrhea in the dog. The following conditions can provoke loose stools:
- poor quality products;
- food unsuitable for feeding a dog, for example, in small dogs, pancreatitis often develops, exacerbations of which are observed after ingestion of oily, spicy food;
- a quick change in the type of food, for example, from natural food to dry food - a similar process requires a rational approach;
- penetration into the intestines of small foreign bodies - this can cause intestinal obstruction;
- parasitic worms (worms);
- intoxication with toxic chemicals;
- infectious diseases, for example, parvovirus enteritis;
- oncological diseases (lymphoma, adenocarcinoma), when tumors are localized in the digestive system, older animals are more likely to suffer;
- systemic diseases - inflammation of the internal organs, diabetes mellitus - again, more often observed in old dogs;
- irritable bowel syndrome - this condition occurs in animals with excess body weight, or after infectious diseases;
- allergy - diarrhea usually occurs with an allergic reaction to foods;
- perforation of the intestinal walls - often the cause is sharp bones, which is not recommended to feed the dog;
- insufficient production of gastric juice - observed in diseases of the stomach - gastritis, gastroduodenitis, etc .;
- vitamin deficiency.
As you can see, diarrhea is not always harmless and in some cases emergency medical care is required. For example, if a puppy is infected, then diarrhea can lead to dehydration and death.
Symptoms of diarrhea in dogs
Symptoms of diarrhea depend on what triggered this reaction, but pet owners should pay attention to the following phenomena:
- feces become soft or thin;
- from the feces comes a fetid, rather sharp stench, they have acquired a dark color, a bloody admixture has appeared in them;
- loose stools black, green, brown;
- the pet has difficulty during bowel movements, begins to whine;
- the dog asks for the street in addition to walking, can not even stand it and go to the toilet at home, while there can be very little feces;
- in liquid feces, mucus or blood appears;
- the animal behaves uneasily, finds no place for itself, it happens with stomach pains;
- the dog is losing weight;
- the pet simultaneously has diarrhea and vomiting;
- a loud rumbling is heard in the stomach.
Any of these signs should attract the attention of the owner to the condition of the dog. Bloody stool is considered a particularly dangerous phenomenon, it is worth talking about it in more detail.
Diarrhea with blood in a dog. What to do
This phenomenon always signals the presence of a serious illness or condition, and requires immediate attention to the veterinarian. The following may be identified:
- Severe poisoning - often happens in undisciplined animals that have the habit of picking up litter during walking. It is with severe intoxication that you can detect a bloody admixture in the stool.
- Parvovirus enteritis - most often affects young animals 2-12 months. Extremely severe illness with a high mortality rate. In this case, inflammation affects the entire intestine, and the entire mucous surface of the organ is peeled off.
- Traumatic enterocolitis - occurs due to cracking sticks, bones, various sharp pieces that can enter the intestine. Indigestion leads to the development of diarrhea, and blood is released due to mechanical damage to the intestinal walls.
- The consequences of taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and glucocorticoid drugs. They are often used as painkillers, but dogs often show increased sensitivity to human medications.
- Intestinal ulceration - in this case, there may be more blood in the feces than the feces themselves, and over time, bleeding is still worse.
Diagnostic measures for diarrhea
Having delivered a beloved pet to the clinic, the owner should be ready to answer a number of questions:
- how long the dog has diarrhea;
- what she ate in the last two or three days;
- whether temperature is present;
- when was the last time deworming;
- whether the animal was vaccinated and when.
With diarrhea, a number of tests are usually given:
- feces for the detection of worms, internal bleeding;
- general urine and blood tests.
In some cases, the pet is sent for radiography, the pictures will reveal the presence of intestinal obstruction or inflammation of the abdominal cavity.
How to treat diarrhea in a dog
Experts recommend not delaying treatment at the clinic, as you can skip extremely dangerous symptoms. Only a doctor after an examination can prescribe a suitable treatment for diarrhea in dogs.
First of all, you need to give the dog:
- Regidron is a drug that restores acid-base balance. Available in powder form, which should be diluted with water. In order for the pet to drink, you can add a little sugar to it.
- Glucose solution - put droppers with glucose with severe dehydration.
- Antibiotics - are prescribed if the tests revealed an infection.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs - are prescribed for bloody diarrhea and at elevated temperature.
- Anthelmintic drugs - are prescribed during diarrhea, not only in the presence of worms, but also for preventive purposes.
Any medications should be prescribed only by specialists after the examination, with accurate dosing and determining the duration of therapy. Treating your dog with medication on your own is not recommended.
Dog diarrhea treatment at home
Can a dog be relieved at home? Yes, if diarrhea is not associated with critical events, and use exceptionally safe means:
- Rice broth - boil the cereal in a small amount of water, remove the porridge, and solder the animal with the resulting broth.
- Medicinal herbs - from a diarrhea, a decoction of alder fruits, St. John's wort, sage, and blueberries are well washed.
- Enema with chamomile decoction - will help cleanse the rectum from pathogenic microflora.
- Activated carbon - a natural absorbent that absorbs harmful substances and removes them from the body;
- To provide the pet with drink - in small portions every 15 minutes, it can be pure water, herbs, teas,
How to feed a pet with diarrhea
As a rule, an animal with diarrhea feels weakness, malaise, and most often refuses food. This is quite adequate behavior of a sick pet. In this case, the owner must follow certain rules:
- The first day it is recommended not to feed the dog at all. If the animal has an appetite, offer some boiled rice.
- For the second, kefir, yogurt, yogurt without additives are included in the diet - this will help normalize digestion processes.
- If on the third day the pet is recovering, you can feed him low-fat food - boiled egg or omelet, slices of boiled chicken, turkey, rabbit, sea fish, crackers made of gray bread.
Boiled rice can be given from the first day, as well as rice broth.
Prevention of diarrhea in dogs
Prevention is much easier than cure, therefore, in order to avoid illness, owners are advised to follow some simple rules:
- Do not give your dog food from your table.
- Do not overfeed the pet, its portion should be strictly dosed.
- Timely carry out the processing of the pet from parasites and carry out deworming.
- Make sure that the dog does not pick up food and waste on the street, does not eat from the wrong hands.
Of course, it is impossible to foresee everything, but with proper care the pet is less likely to get diarrhea. The main thing is to monitor the condition of the dog and take the necessary measures in a timely manner.