The dog’s body is a fine organization, and the slightest negative changes immediately affect the state of its immune system. Naturally, this affects the health of the pet, it is difficult for him to resist various ailments. To prevent this from happening, it is recommended that you carefully pay attention to your dog’s well-being and, if necessary, increase immunity.
Types of Immunity
To understand how to help your dog, you need to know something about the immune system. Distinguish species, it is also called hereditary, immunity and acquired. In the first case, we are talking about the transfer of immunity from generation to generation, and it is highly stable. For example, dogs do not become infected with infections that affect another species of animal.
As for the acquired immunity, it can arise in two ways - natural, when the dog suffers the disease and artificial, obtained as a result of vaccination. In addition, immunity may be sterile or non-sterile. Some infectious diseases lead to the emergence of resistance to the pathogen while it is in the body. In this situation, we are talking about non-sterile immunity, it is also called premium. This phenomenon is used to inoculate the body with the help of living pathogens, for example, from tuberculosis, brucellosis.
Sterile immunity is formed after the animal is ill or vaccinated, it persists even when there is no pathogen in the body. There are also differences in the mechanisms of immunity, they can protect against microbes or eliminate the products of their vital functions. Antimicrobial immunity destroys pathogens, antitoxic neutralizes the toxic substances that produce microbes.
The forces of antimicrobial immunity make the body immune to the action of bacteria, viruses, mycoplasmas, fungi and protozoa. Antibacterial immunity when avirulent or weakly virulent bacteria enter the body, they are captured by special cells and leukocytes and quickly cleanses the body of them.
Antiviral action is carried out in the same way, but there are a number of nuances. For example, with some ailments, it is long and stressful (with smallpox, distemper), but with flu, in humans, in animals, it is short-lived and not stressful enough.
Why dog immunity decreases
There are various reasons that negatively affect the condition of the dog’s immune system. Among the most common phenomena, the following can be noted:
- Helminthic infestations and other parasitic organisms. They secrete toxic substances that destroy the intestinal walls, lowering the immune mechanisms.
- External parasites - fleas, water-eaters and other unpleasant "inhabitants" of the skin damage it, make it vulnerable to pathogens.
- Improper nutrition, not balanced enough - leads to a deficiency of useful components, which are the building blocks of immunity.
- Antibiotic therapy - drugs of this class are not too selective and they hit both pathogens and beneficial bacteria. And this often leads to dysbiosis and a decrease in immune mechanisms.
- Stress is another common cause of decreased immunity in a pet. Dogs react quite sensitively to relocations, a change of ownership, squabbles with their own kind, fright, in which case exhaustion of the nervous system may occur.
If the immune system does not respond properly, the pet becomes ill, and without timely treatment, the body is unlikely to recover.
How to increase immunity in a dog
Improving and maintaining immunity is a complex of procedures, each of which is of great importance:
- Preventive measures against parasites. These are mandatory procedures that the owner must take care of. 2-3 times a year deworming is carried out, as well as every 30-60 days the use of funds from external parasites. You must choose high-quality products with low toxicity.
- A complete balanced diet. With natural feeding, it is worth considering the dog’s need for meat, but do not forget about the sources of carbohydrates and healthy fiber. To get the right diet, you can consult your veterinarian or breeder. When feeding with prepared feeds, no additives are required, in other cases, the pet will need periodic vitamin-mineral supplements.
- Regular walks in the fresh air. If the dog is healthy and vigorous, then more time should be devoted to active walking, with games and training. This helps to strengthen the immune system and improve the health of the pet.
- Protecting your pet from tobacco smoke. Do not think that smoking negatively affects only human health. “Passive smoking”, that is, inhalation of tobacco smoke, is extremely harmful for dogs, especially if they suffer from allergic manifestations, respiratory and cardiovascular diseases. In this case, smoke can significantly aggravate the condition of the pet.
All methods are quite feasible and are the key to a healthy and long life of the dog. If this is not enough, then veterinarians prescribe special drugs with immunomodulatory effects.
Immunomodulators for dogs
First of all, it is worth considering that you can give any medications, including immunomodulating and immunostimulating, only after consultation with a veterinarian. Immunotherapy of diseases of an infectious nature in dogs includes the use of vaccines, immune serums, gamma globulins, etc.
The group of immunomodulators includes preparations from biological, microbiological raw materials, as well as artificial components. Their intake normalizes the functionality of the immune system. Among such funds, the following drugs can be noted:
- Immunofan. The drug, which positively affects the state of cellular and humoral immunity, stabilizes the state of cells.
- Roncoleukin. It is widely used - it is effective in the treatment of purulent-inflammatory diseases, infectious ailments, oncology, dermatological problems and other diseases.
- Gala vet. An immunocorrection drug, which is often prescribed for preventive purposes and for the complex treatment of acute and chronic diseases caused by infections. Increases the body's resistance to bacteriological, viral pathogens and protozoa.
- Maksidin. It is attributed to a new generation of drugs that induces interferon. In addition, it stimulates the activity of protective cells.
- Gamavit. Immune and biostimulating drug, which includes useful components - vitamins, amino acids, nucleic acids, trace elements.
- Immunophore. Taking this drug allows the body of the animal to resist the effects of infectious pathogens and reduces the impact of stressful situations. The immune system returns to normal and holds at this level for a rather long period.
- Glycopin. The prophylactic and therapeutic agent used to treat dogs and cats with bacterial, fungal diseases, it also activates antitumor immunity, reduces post-vaccination complications. It is effectively used to treat secondary immunodeficiency.
- Emitsidin. Immunomodulating drug used in cardiology, neurology, surgery, gynecology and other areas of veterinary medicine.
Immunity protects the animal’s body from various pathogens, and any breach in it, whether it is a defeat by worms or fleas, can significantly undermine the pet’s health. It is important to pay attention to the health of the pet and do everything possible to maintain it. A dog is a friend who lives very little and is worth extending this time by all means.