Parson Russell Terrier - a universal hunting dog breed bred in the UK. This dog, specially bred for hunting small animals and game, is an excellent hunter and a wonderful companion, able to make happiness for a travel lover, an active and cheerful person in need of a faithful friend.
The Parson Russell Terrier was named after its creator, a priest from the city of Swimbridge, located in Devon in the UK. Rev. John Russell adored hunting a burrowing beast. To help him, he needed a very special dog, the breeding of which he took up. Since for the pastor the most important selection criteria were the working qualities of the dog, he paid little attention to the appearance of the resulting dogs.
John Russell enthusiastically crossed the breeds, obtaining a dog capable of running next to the horse and fearlessly rushing after the fox into the hole, calling the hunter with a barking bark. Pouring blood from dogs of fighting breeds, Pastor Russell achieved fearlessness, courage, and a strong grip on his pets.
J. Russell displeased the church ranks, as he spent more time and money on dogs than on parish affairs. He only rose to the rank of vicar and would have remained an unknown pastor of a branch if he had not left behind a more significant legacy - Russell terriers.
Until 1990, it was one breed officially recognized by FCI. But in 2001, FCI decided to separate Russell Terriers and create 2 breed standards:
- No. 345 on the Jack Russell Terrier;
- No. 339 on the Parson Russell Terrier.
They differed in height due to different lengths of legs. In Europe, it was the long-legged dogs that were named the Parson Jack Russell, which were later renamed the Parson Russell Terrier.
The first representatives of the breed came to Russia in 1998 from Atlanta (Georgia, USA). Today, the popularity of the breed is gaining momentum.
Description of the breed Parson Russell Terrier
The appearance of an ideal Parson Russell Terrier is described in the breed standard, but due to the fact that when exterior features were taken out, less features were taken into account than working qualities, small variations are allowed:
- Skull moderately wide, gradually tapering in the region of the orbits, cheekbones not pronounced. There is almost no stop - the line from the forehead to the nose is only slightly deepened. The length of the muzzle from the mirror of the nose to the foot is slightly shorter than the length of the skull.
- The nose is wide with a pronounced lobe and open nostrils. The mirror is pigmented dark.
- The jaws are strong, equipped with a complete set of white triangular teeth with a scissor bite. The lips are dry, tight to the teeth, black pigmented.
- Eyes medium size, almond-shaped. Eyeballs sit deep in the eye sockets. The iris is dark in color.
- The ears small, have a triangular shape with a rounded lower end, reaching the outer corner of the eye. They have an average set - the fold line should not be above the maximum point of the skull. The free part of the ear hangs from the cartilage and is directed forward. Ear thickness is medium.
- The neck is of medium length, gradually expanding from the base of the ears to the shoulders. The neck is covered with dense skin without folds and suspension. The muscles are strong, clearly visible.
- The body is elongated laterally and somewhat square when viewed from the front. Back straight, strong, loin wide, strong slightly lower to the tail.
- Chest of medium depth - the lower edge is not allowed to extend beyond the line of the elbow joints. The ribs are not convex, but not too flat, mobile, which allows the dog to "squeeze" into the hole. The size of the chest behind the shoulder blades is such that it can be wrapped in medium-sized palms.
- The stomach is tightened, but not lean. The line is clear, clean - without suspension.
- Limbs medium length, strong, straight. The paws are oval with tightly closed fingers and stable pads, arched and elastic. Located in parallel.
- Tail thick at the base, tapering to the tip. If the tail is not docked, then the tip reaches the angular joints of the hind limbs. Direct, high set.
Preferred growth at the withers of the males it is 36 cm, and the female is 33 cm. A variation of ± 2 cm is allowed. Weight standard is not specified.
Colors and coat
The coat is coarse, stiff with a good undercoat. There are three varieties of length:
- long coarse hair, on the dog's face forms eyebrows, mustaches and a beard, requires trimming;
- wool of medium length, tightly adjacent to the body, is also trimmed;
- short coat.
When choosing puppies, it should be borne in mind that the final type of coat will form in them not earlier than 2 months of age. Wool covers the entire surface of the body, including the hips from the inside.
The coat color of the thoroughbred representatives is as diverse as the other pedigree characters. There are dogs with the following color:
- white with brown and black spots (white with tan);
- pure white (very rare).
The spots are located on the back, at the root of the tail, a mask divided into 2 halves and located around the ears and eyes. The predominant color of the coat is white. White with a tan of black and different shades of brown is called tri-color. Unacceptable tiger coloration and spotting over 50%.
The character of the Parson Russell Terrier is due to its working qualities. Dog:
- kind to family members and others;
- gets along well with children;
- treats pets well;
- sometimes aggressive to dogs;
- the hunting instinct is for small animals;
- active and gambling;
- cheerful and playful;
- capable of independent decisions.
Charming, inquisitive and amazingly smart - this is how most owners characterize their pet. But besides these beautiful features, the character of the "Parsons" has typical features for terriers:
- a tendency to shoots;
- cockiness in relation to larger dogs;
- craving for adventures and pranks.
The famous film “The Mask” in which one of the many Russell Terrier families starred can give some idea of the dog’s character.
Thanks to the natural quick wits of Parson terriers, they are very good at training, but some character traits do not allow them to become an ideal student. Independent, active, whacky - these cute dogs require regular training, patience and determination of the trainer. A good memory, thanks to which the Parson Russell Terrier quickly and for a long time remembers a large number of teams, does not guarantee obedience.
This restless and too active dog quickly loses interest in training. It is better if you conduct classes in a playful way - not only puppies, but also adult dogs like to play. Due to the long limbs, Parsons run well, jump and overcome obstacles, so they often participate in mini-agility.
So that the dog has no negative traits, it must be started to be brought up from an early age. Parson Russell Terrier, first of all, a hunter, so it is worth developing and improving these abilities, and when training use the method of encouragement and interest.
If the dog is interested, he feels his need, the owner’s love and his attention, then the terrier simply transforms. An example of this is the story of the Russell Terrier nicknamed Uggi, who became the owner of a dog Oscar.
Care and Health
Caring for the Parson Russell Terrier is minimal. Its stiff short coat does not smell, practically does not fade and it is enough to comb it out once a week with a stiff brush. White wool also does not need frequent washing. It has a natural ability to self-clean, therefore, washing the dog is necessary only with severe contamination. Female Russell Terrier washed after estrus.
Hanging dog ears and teeth require regular cleaning. With the help of a wet ear stick, the external ear canal is carefully cleaned of impurities, and the teeth are cleaned with a "dog" paste and a special brush.
The dog’s health is quite good, and standard preventive procedures are required to maintain it:
- vaccination on time;
- regular examination by a veterinarian in the presence of predispositions to hereditary diseases;
- balanced diet;
- physical activity and rational loads.
Periodic trimming of the hair of long-haired and medium-haired terriers will give them a well-groomed appearance and save them from wool in the apartment.
The good health of John Russell Terriers explains a fairly long life. With proper care, dogs live 13-16 years. But, like most hunting dogs, Parson Russell Terriers have a predisposition to certain diseases. The following pathologies can be attributed to them:
- visual apparatus - cataract, ectopic lens of the eye;
- hearing organs - deafness;
- motion organs - myasthenia gravis, coordination disorder (ataxia), necrosis of the femoral head (Legg-Calve-Perthes syndrome);
- hematopoietic systems - violation of blood coagulability (von Willebrand disease).
However, the frequency of occurrence of these diseases is not so high, and in general, the Parson Russell Terrier is surprisingly a healthy and active breed that can tolerate fairly high physical exertion.
How to feed
Since the breed is designed for long intensive loads, the nutrition should be appropriate - to supply a sufficient amount of energy and "building material" for plastic processes - growth and restoration of tissues. Therefore, the basis of the diet should be laid:
- proteins that make up almost half the serving;
- carbohydrates and fats are energy sources;
- dietary fiber and fiber - to remove toxins and stimulate the digestive tract.
Proteins are lamb, turkey, beef and offal. Proteins should not exceed 2/3 of the dog's diet. Chicken meat should be excluded, as it can provoke an allergic reaction and pork.
Too fat meat causes upset digestion in the terrier. Offal, if they are fresh and of good quality, it is recommended to give raw. It is necessary to introduce bones, veins, cartilage into the diet of the dog to strengthen the muscles of the jaws. It is worth giving the sea fish after processing - removing sharp bones and fins.
Among the obligatory porridge for the dog, buckwheat, oatmeal and rice are preferred. Porridge is cooked and mixed with vegetables, meat or fish. Also, vegetables and fruits should be included in the diet of the Parson Russell Terrier. Vegetables can be given either boiled or stewed, or raw. Terriers enjoy pears and apples with great pleasure. They should also be introduced into the dog’s diet.
Those owners who do not want to cook will have ready-made balanced feeds to help. It is impossible to overfeed the dog - terriers are prone to obesity, and rapid growth in the "puppy" age can lead to diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
This breed of dogs is quite modest in size, which allows us to keep it in the conditions of our small apartments. Russels are very clean, practically do not fade and do not smell, but they need long walks, active games, the ability to realize their hunting instinct and natural curiosity.
Ideally, if the dog lives in a private house with a plot where he can run, jump, dig holes. If this is not possible, then the dog can be taken out of town, walk with him in the parks, engage in special areas. All the indefatigable energy of the terrier should be spent outside the house, otherwise the dog will start to “dog”, spoiling furniture, things and bothering the owners.
Parson Russell is the owner, so he should have not only an individual isolated berth, but also his toys. From the memories of the British traveler Ranulf Fiennes, his dog Bati, with whom he crossed the equators and walked around the globe, had a whole collection of balls that he adored and with which he constantly played.
Do not leave your pet alone for a long time. Without contact with a person, the dog begins to get bored and "bizarre." Parson is an ideal dog for travel lovers, people actively spending their holidays, families with children, whom he will become the best companion in games and pranks.
Photo parson russell terrier
Video about Parson Russell Terrier
Where to buy a puppy
In our country, the popularity of the breed has not yet reached such a peak as in Europe and America. Parson Russell Terriers are bred by only a few nurseries in the Russian Federation, Ukraine, Belarus. The price varies from 35,000 to 45,000 rubles and depends on the severity of the breed qualities of the puppies.
In Moscow, the Parson Russell Terrier puppy can be purchased at the kennels:
- Blue angel - //blueang.ru/;
- JACK RUSSELL - //jek-rassel.ru/;
- Pinacolada - //www.jackrussel-terrier.com/.
In Kiev, you can buy a puppy in kennels:
- Spirit Dream - //spirit-dream.com;
- Bohemia Artik - //jack-russel.dogboard.net/t3-topic.
Among the owners of these cute and funny dogs are Jim Carrey, who fell in love with Russell Terriers after the movie The Mask, Michael Douglas. Refined Autry Hepburn also held a parson. Singers Mariah Carey and Bette Midler admire the vitality and energy of their pets. Merry Russell escort and crowned persons - Prince Charles, Sarah Ferguson. Perhaps soon in our country they will pay attention to a cute dog.