Saluki - Persian greyhounds, whose ancestors lived in the Middle East during the time of Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia. Representatives of this breed are the fastest. It is not surprising that saluki have a lot of fans, and breeders and owners are sure that these are the best four-legged friends that a person can have.
Origin of breed
The roots of the breed go back so far back centuries that it is difficult to determine exactly where it originated. Many researchers are inclined to believe that saluki were the first dogs to live next to a person.
The starting point of their distribution was Iran and the Arabian Peninsula. Archaeologists working in the Middle East quite often found images of such dogs among artifacts. The oldest of them date back to 3,500 BC. In addition, these animals were depicted in Egyptian burials.
The name of the breed is associated with the Arab city of Salyuki or Syrian Seleucia. Muslims attribute these dogs to pure animals, and the Bedouins, hunting from saluki, call them "gifts of Allah." It was in these tribes that the representatives of the breed were formed, and even then the nomads took care of the purity of the breed.
Thanks to the nomadic way of life of their owners, dogs became widespread in the Middle East, and by the Middle Ages they penetrated into European countries.
Saluki breed description
Even in ancient times, dogs were appreciated for their external beauty and noble appearance, in addition, dogs were distinguished by their endurance and high speed. With saluki, they hunted a small animal - a rabbit, a fox, a hare and a gazelle. The dog could catch the prey and hold it until the hunter arrives and kills her.
These graceful animals lived in tents and delivered to the place of hunting on horses or camels. Another caveat - saluki were not for sale, you could get such a pet only as a gift.
Needless to say, such animals must be beaten to have amazing abilities and unique appearance. And their data is really impressive. These are graceful, sophisticated animals, similar to the Greyhounds, but covered with a dense coat.
Their thoroughbred lasted more than one thousand years, and this deserves respect. Saluki is a tall, slender, even thin dog, growth at the withers is 58-71 cm, bitches are a little lower, weigh they are from 18 to 27 kg.
Many owners hear from strangers: "You better feed your pet, you can see its ribs." In fact, only those who do not know anything about the characteristics of the breed say so, as healthy, peppy saluki must have visible ribs, and this is not a sign of exhaustion.
Such a lean figure allows animals to run at a speed of 70 km / h, which is impossible to achieve for dogs with extra pounds. The following description of dogs of this breed can be found in the standard:
- Head proportional, narrow, graceful; there is a bulge between the ears, the stop is a smooth line.
- The muzzle is elongated, tapering to the nose, with powerful jaws, strong teeth and a regular bite.
- The nose is sensitive, pigmented in black or brown.
- Eyes large, expressive, almond-shaped, the shade of the iris varies from black to light brown tones.
- Auricles the muzzle hangs on the sides; when excited, they rise when the dog rests calmly.
- The neck is elongated, with developed muscles smooth bend.
- Body elongated, muscular, with a deep, powerful cage, a slightly arched lower back and widely spaced pelvic bones; the inguinal line is well tucked up.
- Tail set low, length to the hocks, the tip bends upward in a semicircle. In a calm state, it does not rise above the line of the spine.
- Limbs are located in parallel, they have a strong skeleton, shoulders well laid back, and the hips and legs are well developed in the hind legs.
- Toes are arched, elongated, tight-fitting, with black claws and elastic, durable pads.
Coat and possible colors
Among saluki there are individuals with a smooth coat or "feathers". Dogs with a second type of coat are more common. All representatives of the breed have elongated hair on the ears, but long-haired dogs have longer hair, and there are also tows in the tail and on the back of the limbs.
The color of the coat is practically unlimited, the standard does not allow only tiger coloration, as well as animals suffering from albinism. Most often found with white, gray, fawn, fawn, red, black and tan, pinto dogs.
Saluki character and character
Most representatives of the breed are even in nature, so the owner can have at least a dozen pets. If you highlight one characteristic feature - low sociability. The first breeders from the Middle East instilled in them a feeling of some alienation. This was done deliberately, so that it was impossible for a stranger to lead these dogs out of the house.
This quality has led to the fact that the saluki do not like to subservient and suck up to the owner. Rather than serving, they prefer to coexist with a person. Saluki are indifferent to strangers - there is no talk of aggression or rejection, but you should not expect joy from pets.
However, their independence and some alienation, on the contrary, attract attention. Saluki are considered flawless animals with an angelic character. The owner only needs to find an approach to the pet and learn how to communicate with him.
Weasel and love - this is what you need to melt the heart of this dog. Despite some detachment, she needs a family and her own person. It is important that people live in peace among themselves, since saluki are very sensitive to rudeness, strained relationships, pets need love, understanding and some reverence.
Persians are not averse to lying on sofas or a master's bed, and also, being alone, they can entertain themselves inappropriately. To keep shoes and furniture intact, you need to provide your pet with suitable toys.
Education and training
When a puppy of such a difficult breed appears in the house, the owner should immediately show that he is the main thing in the house. The dog’s training consists in mastering the main program - the dog must know the place, approach on command, stop and figure out what to do under no circumstances. These dogs are not worth giving difficult tasks, they are too wayward to masterfully perform everything that the owner wants.
You can not treat a pet with dismissive or unfair punishment - such a dog will definitely remember and have to forget about fruitful collaboration. It is not recommended to punish a greyhound, it is better, on the contrary, to stimulate a pet in every possible way - with affection, praise, encouragement.
Saluki require an individual approach, and if there is mutual understanding and trust between the owner and the pet, then the training will be very successful. When choosing a Persian greyhound as a pet, one must take into account its love of freedom. It is important for a dog to walk for a long time, otherwise he will lose his excellent physical shape and may even become ill or make obesity.
Like other greyhounds, it is important for Persians to spend energy and get physical activity, this can be hunting, long runs, training. Although there is no particular difficulty for such a dog - he is able to catch up with the beast within a minute, but enjoys more from long runs, and does not show the slightest sign of fatigue.
A dog of a saluki breed should not be started for beginners unfamiliar with the characteristics of the dressing - it will be very, very difficult, it may even seem that the pet is not trained at all. Classes should be started from puppyhood, as the behavior of an adult greyhound is almost impossible to correct.
But even a puppy is capable of being stubborn. Also, do not repeat the same command for a long time - the pet will not like it, he will complete the task 3-4 times, and on the 5th he can pretend that this does not apply to him.
Care and Health
Saluki have no undercoat, therefore they do not have a specific dog smell. These are clean animals that almost do not fade, so their coat does not require complicated care. The pet needs the following procedures:
- Wool. Greyhounds are rarely bathed, only when necessary, using detergents suitable for this type of coat. Sometimes you can do without washing by wiping the dog's body with a damp cloth. Saluki do not require frequent combing, the wool is enough to be treated with silicone or rubber gloves once a week. Such an event has a positive effect not only on the condition of the coat, but also on the skin, being a kind of massage. For combing, you can also use brushes with natural pile. It is better to scratch long-haired individuals with a comb with metal teeth.
- Auricles. Due to the fact that they are closed, the ears of a greyhound are deprived of natural ventilation, so dirt often accumulates in them and inflammation occurs. They should be regularly inspected and cleaned of contamination with a cotton pad. In addition, it is recommended to purchase a special pharmacy product with an antiseptic effect, which is poured into the ears, massaged from the outside, and then the animal is released - the dog begins to shake its head, thereby, foreign particles drop out.
- Eyes. They should be inspected regularly, especially after the dog runs through the wooded area, and if sour eyes, foreign particles appear in their eyes, they are washed with an antiseptic, a weak tea leaves or herbal tea.
- Teeth. Greyhounds often form a coating of enamel and tartar, in order to avoid this, it is recommended that you brush your pet's teeth 1-2 times a week using a brush and toothpaste from a pet store. Additionally, you can give your pet dentological goodies - bones, sticks, preventive toys.
- Claws. Since saluki are quite active animals, the grinding of their claws occurs naturally. Usually they are cut only on the rudimentary fifth fingers.
For health and well-being, a borzoi needs daily walks and active classes a couple of times a week. Experienced breeders recommend newly-made owners to consider the option of a pet participating in sports or engraving events.
The average life expectancy of Persian greyhounds is 12-14 years, and due to the fact that the breed has retained its originality, its representatives do not suffer from genetic diseases. However, the dogs of this breed can still develop the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- hypersensitivity to anesthetics. Dogs of this breed require less preparation than animals weighing the same amount, since they have very little fat;
- cardiomyopathy - a pathological change in the myocardium;
- hypothyroidism - a decrease in the level of hormones produced by the thyroid gland.
If we look at the big picture, then the Persian greyhounds are in good health, according to the owners, such pets rarely get sick. According to the American Canine Association, only 5% of purebreds have any kind of disease.
How and what to feed
Persian greyhounds, even among their varieties, are rather slender dogs, they consume little fluid and are picky enough to eat. Experienced Arabian breeders practice feeding these dogs with natural food. Their diet consists of the following foods:
- veal and lamb;
- chicken and turkey;
- solid vegetables;
- unsweetened fruits: apples, pears; citruses are prohibited;
- dairy products - not more than 2 times a week kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt;
- eggs - 1 piece every 3-4 days.
In addition, the Arabs believe that saluki do not need cereals at all. Representatives of this breed have an intensive metabolism, so it is advisable to feed them more often 2 times a day. With regard to feeding vitamins, the issue is decided individually after consultation with a veterinarian.
It is allowed to feed Persian greyhounds with industrial dry diets, but these must be high-quality products - super-premium. In addition, the food should be intended for active dogs.
Today, more and more owners start saluki for apartment maintenance, which is not surprising during the general urbanization. But in this case, the owners must be prepared for all kinds of difficulties.
The ideal living conditions for a Persian greyhound is a country house with a spacious open-air cage. These dogs need space, their own territory. It should be borne in mind that they are able to overcome the highest fences and can go towards traveling - it is in their blood.
Video about saluki
Buying a puppy
Saluki is a peculiar breed of dogs, beautiful and wayward. It is recommended to purchase such a pet in a specialized nursery, where they can give a guarantee about the purebred and health of the animal.
A puppy from a domestic kennel will cost from 25,000 to 50,000 rubles. Future owners also have the opportunity to purchase a baby from abroad, in this case they will have to pay from 65,000 rubles or more. The best nurseries in the country are:
- "Imran", Moscow //imran-saluki.ru/ru/contact;
- Dioscuri, Moscow //www.saluki.ru/contact.htm.
Saluki is a living representation of how dogs looked several thousand years ago. They kept their appearance, dignity, hunting qualities, pride. Such a pet will be an excellent four-legged friend, but much is required from the owner - respect, love and patience.