All owners of dogs participating in exhibition events know how important an accessory such as ringovka (the so-called “vodilka”) is a special collar that tightens when the leash is pulled. This device can both help the four-legged friend look and move spectacularly, or interfere, causing discomfort, so its selection should be treated more than carefully. Ringovka - we make the choice correctly so that the accessory combines convenience, functionality, and also emphasizes the dignity of the pet.
What to look for when choosing
Participating with a pet in the show (such people are called handlers), you will not be able to do without using a special collar with a leash - this is an obligatory attribute designed for such purposes. The ring is attached through the area of the shoulder blades to the sternum or behind the ears of the animal. There are no special rules for what this accessory should be, but breeders and owners of show dogs can share their experience in choosing the right model.
On sale you can find ammunition of various sizes and shapes, so the owner may be confused. But there are a number of characteristics that you should pay attention to first of all:
- Collar Width - Experienced dog breeders do not recommend acquiring a too wide ring, since it visually shortens the neck of the animal - a narrow accessory that does not affect the general exterior of the pet looks much more elegant. However, it is worth noting that thin, round collars often cause discomfort, digging into the skin of the animal.
- Strength and reliability - Despite the specific function of the ring, the collar and leash during the exhibition do not cease to play the role of the main ammunition of the dog. As you know, with the accumulation of a large number of dogs and people, anything can happen, and it is important that the owner can control the actions of his four-legged friend.
- Grace and beauty - Still, the accessory is intended for the show, and the ring should not look hard, like ammunition for a working dog.
- Material - leather products, nylon kapron are produced, and some masters make exhibits from the most original materials - silk, metal, etc. Nylon rings are the best option for dogs of small and medium sizes - they are quite practical and do not spoil the quality of the coat, but for large cattle nevertheless, leather or metal products are more suitable - the so-called jerk chains.
- The size - no matter how beautiful and elegant the ammunition is, it is important that it “sat” well and not hamper the movement.
- Length - Another important aspect that must be taken into account: when showing decorative doggies with a "bear" service, too short ammunition can serve the service - in this case, a long leash is more appropriate. For large dogs, it is more convenient to use a ring of medium or short length. The chain of ammunition should not hang low on the dog’s neck. The ideal length at which the owner can control the four-legged friend.
- The presence of a sliding loop - exhibitors are evaluated according to many criteria, and judges look at how the dog takes a stand and how it moves. And often the owners, who have just dismissed the ring and put on a favorite, see how the experts give the command - to run! The fastest response is for those whose ammunition has a sliding loop at the end - it drags on without interference, and the dog begins to move. By the way, experienced dog breeders note that shaggy participants who have the habit of “falling asleep” in the ring run with greater activity if they feel the collar well.
- Comfort - the ring should be convenient for both the dog and the owner - do not crush or pinch the neck of the pet. As for the handler, the end of the ammunition should not slip out of the hands, not cut the palm.
Frequent participants in show programs also understand fashion trends and try to choose current accessories. For example, today a transparent ringing is very popular, which is made of cotton material and covered with a layer of wax. This product is durable and not without originality.
What color should be the accessory
An exhibition ring for dogs is the same as a competitive podium for people - on it they show how beautiful, stately they are, how they can move and behave in public. And the ringing in no case should interfere with this, distract or spoil the appearance of the participant, its goal is to harmoniously complement the exterior and emphasize the merits.
Experts do not recommend choosing ammunition that contrasts in color with the dog's coat. It visually shortens the neck of the dog and violates the visual integrity of the entire body. The best option is a ring, which is combined with the tone of the participant’s coat. This is especially important for the part where the ammunition is adjacent to the body of the animal - on the shoulders and on the head.
The most commonly used accessories are the following colors:
- black - they are chosen by dog owners with a black, gray, smoky or blue fur coat. Choosing a coal-black tone of brilliant ammunition, it is worthwhile to really evaluate whether the coat looks faded, dull;
- white - suitable for dogs with light plain or soft spotted hair. But here it is worth noting a feature - against the background of a snow-white accessory, the pet's hair may look grayish, dirty. So it’s worth initially taking a closer look, and if an unpleasant contrast catches your eye, pick up the ammunition not pure white, but milk, ivory, vanilla;
- beige - look great on dogs of wheat, fawn colors;
- red - Most often in such rings put Yorkshire terriers. This is due to the fact that in some countries it is customary to exhibit these little doggies on stands covered with red velvet fabric, and such a combination looks appropriate.
As for the allegedly fashionable trends, for example, the use of multi-colored ammunition (the so-called rainbow color), this is considered an excess, even if we are talking about miniature, funny participants. Such an accessory will not make the pet solid or more attractive, but will be a distracting element, absurdity.
Giving preference to products made of shiny material - satin, silk, with decorating elements - beads, rhinestones, sequins, beads, it is advisable for the owner to look in the daylight and in the light of lamps, but does such an elegant, iridescent set diminish the natural shine of the pet's hair? Although there is no prescription for the color of the ring, experienced handlers believe that the less it stands out on the dog’s body, the better.
Video on how to work with the ring
Ringovka for dogs of various breeds
On sale you can find exhibition equipment for dogs of various sizes, some equipped with a long leash, others with a short one. But when trying on, it becomes clear whether the ring is suitable for the pet or not.
The noose - it can be made in the form of a lace or chain, should be of such a size that the head of the animal does not pass very freely through it. An extended leash is always located on the outside of the animal’s head.
If, putting on an accessory, the owner is in difficulty, and the material of the collar and leash clings to the coat, then it is immediately clear - this option is not suitable. Otherwise, you can spoil the dog’s fur even before it is in the ring.
All dogs are individual, which for one is good, for the other it may be unacceptable.
Representatives of large and giant breeds
Owners of a colorful pet should pay more attention to ammunition strength than its color and width. Nylon rings do not meet this requirement, and genuine leather products are the most suitable. It is also necessary that the accessory be equipped with a durable lock and clasp. For impressive molossians, it is recommended to use a ring having a limiter.
Many owners prefer metal products. Indeed, modern models meet the requirements, and due to the quality of the material and weaving, they do not harm the skin and coat of the pet.
Owners of a dog of the breed Chinese, Mexican Hairless Dog or Basenji should pay attention to the collar-choke with a chain.
Pets with sensitive skin
In this case, models that have an extension under the neck are more suitable than others. They do not rub the skin and do not damage its surface. Often they are chosen by puppies, as well as dogs by Italian greyhound, chihuahua, and toy terrier.
All the aforementioned models, as well as other exhibition accessories, can be purchased by dog owners at a pet store or by ordering from masters involved in the manufacture of such products. In the latter case, it is possible to purchase an exclusive ring, based on the wishes of the customer. But it is advisable to make a purchase from experienced professionals who make ammunition, taking into account the characteristics of animals and the specifics of use.
Often for decorative little pets, “vodilki” are purchased in the form of silk strings or elegant chains, decorated by the type of bracelets - beads, pebbles, metal elements. Sometimes, they are made so skillfully that they look like jewelry, but the owners should be careful with such products.
It is important to pay attention to where large elements are located - it is undesirable for the beads to press on particularly sensitive areas - the trachea, the ears of a small doggie. In addition, additional elements should not cling to the hair, tearing them or breaking.
But there is another option - to make ammunition with your own hands, with love and care for the four-legged comrade. Hand-made ringing is an exclusive accessory and the second one cannot be found during exhibitions. And the master himself is responsible for the quality - and for his favorite, he will certainly try.
In addition, the author has the opportunity to use a variety of materials and take into account the features of a four-legged friend. But for a newcomer who has never been to such shows, this may not be possible. Indeed, in addition to the technique of performing work and the features of various materials, a person needs to get acquainted with the functionality of the accessory so that he does not fail during the performance.
The exhibition is an important event for which show-class dog owners have been preparing for more than one month, taking care of their pet's appearance and health. They are also engaged in the selection of a suitable ringing, which, if it does not affect the standard qualities of the four-legged participant, is able to emphasize them favorably, and the handler will help control the dog that has faced many spectators.