The caring owner of a four-legged friend will definitely notice that for some reason, a pet eating regularly and with appetite has begun to lose weight. Naturally, this will cause concern and anxiety, especially if there are no visible reasons for this. Why does a dog lose weight with a good appetite? When is this normal and when is it a sign of illness?
Dog Weight OK
How to determine that a dog weighs as much as needed? Of course, you can look at the standard and find out the parameters of representatives of a particular breed. But you should take into account the growth and sex of the animal, since the mass located on the upper border will not be normal if the height of the pet is on the lower. In addition, many pets do not have a breed, being mestizos or mutts. In this case, there are no data and tables - everything is strictly individual.
In a dog of normal build, ribs, croup bones and moslaks - the heads of the hip joints - should be palpated. On visual inspection, protruding bones are a sign of excessive thinness. However, it is worth considering that there are a number of breeds that are lean by nature. Even eating well, saluki, mastiffs, greyhounds, Italian greyhounds and others remain slim and lean. And this is considered normal. Dogs of the same breed are also found, but with a different composition, for example, there are shepherds that are firmly knocked down, and there are “dry” ones.
Of course, it is easier for owners of a short-haired pet to notice that the ward is emaciated. While long-haired individuals for a long time retain their appearance, regardless of body weight. But if weight loss is associated with a pathological process, then the animal will necessarily manifest concomitant signs:
- deterioration in the quality of the coat - it loses its luster, becomes faded, dry, thinned, and can fall out abundantly;
- behavior change - the pet is lethargic, irritable, does not show interest in others, is often in a lying position, does not participate in games, and even the call to take a walk does not cause him positive emotions;
- vomiting, diarrhea occurs;
- increase or decrease in body temperature;
- respiratory failure.
Some serious illnesses can trigger aggression and inappropriate behavior. In this case, even the emergency delivery of the dog to the clinic does not guarantee a good outcome.
Why does the dog lose weight fast
What should the owner pay attention to first of all if his dog eats but loses weight? First of all, you need to look into his mouth, assess the condition of teeth, tissues of the palate, pharynx, gums. If their color has not changed, there is no plaque and inflamed areas, you can go to the examination and palpation of the peritoneum.
Unintentional weight loss can be associated with a number of pathological conditions.
Normally, the dog’s stomach remains soft if you gently press it. If the peritoneal muscles tighten when touched, then this may be a sign of illness. This is observed with inflammation of the stomach, the presence of a foreign object in this organ, ulcerative damage to the walls, intestinal blockage and other pathologies of the digestive tract.
In diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, the dog develops diarrhea, it becomes lethargic, lethargic, and vomiting torments him. With any of the symptoms, it is recommended to measure the temperature of the pet and assess the condition of the mucous membranes - their blue or yellow color is a serious symptom of the disease.
Almost any disease associated with a violation of the digestive tract is accompanied by soreness of a different nature. Usually that a pet is hurt can be understood by its reactions. If the dog trembles, becomes irritated, behaves cautiously, and his breathing is shallow, it is a severe pain. In this case, the dog, when standing, begins to hunch his back, and his steps are small, without scope.
Ears or teeth hurt
If a dog has a toothache or ear pain, she refuses to eat. In such cases, you can identify the problem by pressing on the base of the auricles - a sharp reaction of the pet will confirm that it was here that the inflammation was localized. It is important to immediately seek the help of a veterinarian.
Food allergies are another reason why the dog eats and loses weight. With this pathology, the animal's body begins to function in an emergency mode, which leads to increased energy consumption and weight loss.
This condition is accompanied by certain signs: the dog begins to itch actively, the flow from the eyes and nose intensifies, and appetite worsens. Irritated areas may appear on the skin, and hair may fall out in places.
If at the initial examination it was not possible to detect parasites that can cause similar symptoms, an antihistamine should be given to the pet. If the signs have subsided, then it is still a matter of allergy.
Worms are frequent guests of the canine organism, which eat what is intended for the normal functioning of the organs and systems of the animal. In this case, the dog eats with increased appetite, but important substances provide not her, but her "neighbors".
There is a schedule for deworming dogs, according to which pets are given anthelmintic drugs, usually this event is performed every 3-4 months. If you observe it, then the helminths that have entered the body will not have time to actively multiply and cause serious harm.
If the owner forgets about the procedure or ignores it at all, the worms can spread throughout all systems, consuming vital components before they are digested and absorbed into the intestines. Some of the worms can seriously damage the tissues of the liver, lungs, heart, and even the brain. And if this happened, serious changes can be expected, including metabolic disturbances.
In such a situation, the pet dramatically loses weight, lacks vitamin components and trace elements, and organ failure develops. Such conditions often lead to irreversible consequences and the death of the dog.
Contacting a veterinarian will help save a pet’s life, but the consequences of helminthic invasion can subsequently cause various complications and periodically remind of oneself. So it’s better to take care of prevention, it will not be able to 100% protect the dog from worms, but will reduce the likelihood of their comfortable stay in the body of the pet.
Any surgical intervention, even minimally invasive, is stress for the body of the animal, and weight loss during this period is considered normal. But, of course, we are not talking about critical weight loss, when only “skin and bones” remain from a well-fed pet.
Unfortunately, four-legged friends are worse than people who undergo anesthesia. This applies even to physically strong, young animals, but they have enough internal reserves to recover. Much depends on how difficult the operation turned out to be, and during this period it is important that a specialist watches the pet.
If the dog is losing weight more than expected, an experienced doctor will definitely pay attention to this fact. If he does not consider this symptom dangerous, it is worth consulting with another veterinarian.
Viruses are very dangerous for dogs, and, regardless of the age and breed of the animal. The risk group includes puppies and dogs of advanced age. A sharp decrease in body weight can cause any viral pathogen, but vaccination can protect against some of them:
- rabies - the disease is dangerous to humans, but fatal to a dog;
- carnivore plague - can be cured only at an early stage of development;
- enteritis - even the vaccine will not protect the pet 100%, but will help to avoid acute manifestations of the disease;
- adenovirus - rarely detected, requires serious, long-term treatment;
- leptospirosis - the disease is dangerous for people, treatable, rarely diagnosed;
- pyroplasmosis - with the help of a vaccine it is possible to avoid acute manifestations of the disease.
Malignant tumors and metastases also lead to a sharp weight loss of the animal. The danger lies in the fact that in most cases it is possible to identify the ailment only in the later stages. The initial degrees of cancer proceed latently, without pronounced symptoms, so they are often found in diagnostics that are not related to oncology.
Late stage cancer is not treated, but stopped. The animal is prescribed a course of chemotherapy or radiation therapy. These methods are quite tough, they harm not only malignant cells, but also healthy ones, therefore the dog loses weight, feels bad both during treatment and at the end of it. With the help of competent restorative therapy, it is possible to restore the dog's strength and appetite.
Watch the video why the dog is thin and eats a lot
Improper diet and diet
Any veterinarian who does not identify pathologies during the diagnosis will be interested in what the owner of his pet is feeding. Often, a dog loses weight without getting a balanced meal or without sticking to a schedule. What should the owner pay attention to when feeding a four-legged companion?
- Diversity must be moderate. With natural feeding, you should not give the dog everything, trying to make his menu varied. In fact, the balanced diet of these animals consists of 5-6 products, and the list of prohibited foods is quite large. But if the dog consumes only 1-2 products, it is worth revising its diet and include a few more components in it.
- It is worthwhile to carefully approach the selection of feed. Low price products consist of cereals with a low content of meat processing waste. Naturally, it is impossible to call such food suitable for a dog, since most of the ingredients are not absorbed by the body of the dog. In this case, even increasing the portion will not help the pet get better. The feed should be of high quality, consist of meat components, vegetables, a small amount of cereal, vitamin and mineral supplements. Premium and super premium brands meet similar requirements. It is recommended to periodically give the pet canned food to diversify the pet’s diet. It is desirable that it be of the same brand as the main one.
- It is important to take care of your pet’s access to water.. If during natural feeding the animal receives part of the moisture from food, then when it is "dried", it comes mainly from a separate bowl. The owner must clean up the remnants of the half-eaten food, but this does not apply to water - it must always be in the bowl so that the dog can drink at any time. Otherwise, the animal may experience dehydration, against the background of which vomiting occurs, belching of dry, undigested granules, difficult bowel movements, etc.
Losing weight in a pet is an alarming sign, especially if its appetite does not deteriorate. The owner should take a closer look at the behavior of a four-friend, and for his own comfort, reduce to a veterinarian.