Husky dogs are unusual dogs, and once domesticated northern wolves, which are fundamentally different from most of their kind, because life in the northern regions and special duties made them indispensable human helpers capable of making independent decisions. Therefore, the education and training of a husky puppy proceeds according to another program, which should take into account their pedigree features.
Husky dogs specialties
Before you begin to educate and educate your new, yet unintelligent pet, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the features of the breed and understand why husky dogs behave differently in a given situation. For example, why would such a dog not guard the house or be a nanny for a child?
Guards do not work out of them, because in the endless northern regions they live freely, perceiving everything around as their property - without fences and fences. In addition, huskies are pack animals that understand that it is impossible to survive in such conditions alone.
And the most powerful being that helps in all matters is man, and he needs to be given all kinds of help. Naturally, living outside such conditions leaves its mark on the representatives of the breed, but is not able to completely eradicate their habits, which have long been rooted at the genetic level.
All representatives of sledding breeds, including husky, were given great freedom, but it also requires enormous responsibility: the pack leader has to determine the road on his own, without waiting for advice from the owner and not being afraid of obstacles arising in the way.
The rest of the team members have another task - to drag out the lines without losing their general rhythm and not stop without serious need - the one who slows down will be punished immediately by the rest of the team. For many centuries, such a life has developed in dogs a certain behavioral line - to work, applying all the forces, at the same time evaluating the efforts of others and looking for their way to the goal.
Husky has well-developed hunting instincts, but not like other hunting breeds, but like his wild ancestor - a wolf. For such dogs, all extraneous creatures, except humans, can be considered as prey. Therefore, a dog living in a house or apartment can, without any remorse, "hunt" for neighboring cats or other domestic animals. If a husky puppy got into a house where there is already a cat, then on the street he most often is not interested in such animals.
But dogs like this relate to humans in a different way - they often changed owners and switched from team to team, therefore they have no habit of choosing one owner for life. Husky is not able to distinguish between strangers, that is, strangers they consider only as a potential threat to themselves, but not to the owner's housing and property.
On the part of people, there were attempts to instill riding dogs with aggression skills for people, but they didn’t lead to anything good - the dogs did not correctly accept the promises and tried, in order to please the owner, to destroy all those who were weaker.
Husky in apartment and aviary conditions
When purchasing a husky puppy for maintenance in the apartment, the family should be ready for the following "antics" of a four-legged friend:
- The puppy, as if "badly" hears the tasks that the owner gives him, for him his own feelings are more important than what the person says.
- Husky is very curious - the baby will try a lot "by little", and no punishment will not change this behavior until the puppy grows up.
- Dogs of this breed tend to dominate - a doggie can nibble household members, growl at them - these are his ways to demonstrate his own superiority and attempts to "educate" others.
- The pet is able to make decisions independently, and, more often than not, it does it without regard to the opinions of people or other animals.
- Husky will not tolerate bad attitude and remain loyal to the owner, who could not prove his leadership to him - he can change the pack himself or find another, more generous family.
To influence the pet’s behavior, the owner has two options: to identify the dog in an aviary with a concrete floor or to turn into a pack leader and provide the four-legged comrade with work that will give him the opportunity to feel himself needed.
The basics of the educational process
Breeders with experience working with dogs of this breed note that these are some of the most fearless dogs, so it is highly discouraged to use threats or physical impact during training. In addition, during work, they drew attention to one caveat - Husky love to monkey. Pets are able to adopt the habits of other dogs, for example, those that are contained with them in the same enclosure.
It is undesirable if the husky begins to borrow the behavior of service dogs - do not forget that this is just an imitation of behavior unusual for sled dogs. But for training such dogs, training is used, the basis of which are two methods - imitation and encouragement. In addition, it also includes methods of punishment, but mainly not pain, but those that can subjugate:
- strict, calm voice, without high notes;
- confident movements;
- the owner should not retreat if the dog "has" patience and does not seek to complete tasks.
With this approach, owners can get the best result from training, because it was they who helped the dogs during the nomadic habitat.
How to curb a wayward pet
Siberian domesticated wolves do not have stubbornness among the main character traits - they simply very stubbornly go to their desired goal. But they are able to obey other, stronger rivals only if they understand that the advantages are not on their side.
The owner must ensure that the intensity of the load is constantly increasing, this will allow not only the pet to show its capabilities, but also to show the will to the owner. For example, you can make the dog run as long as he can do it, or offer him to rise to the height that the dog is afraid to overcome in order to overcome fear. You can conduct workouts using stairs and exercises at heights.
If it is not possible to subdue the dog by such methods, a more radical method can be applied - restriction of freedom of movement. For example, grab the pet by the withers, press it to the ground and hold until the dog stops trying to resist.
Often, the owners have no choice but to put the wayward pet on a leash or put it in a not too spacious enclosure. The only caveat - it is important that the dog does not cheat, because the method will not work if the husky breaks off the leash or makes a dig and with a victorious look is carried off into the distance.
Read how to feed a husky.
Important aspects of parenting
As soon as the puppy has crossed the threshold of the house, the owner should immediately start raising him:
- First of all, you should determine a place for your four-legged friend, and do not change it over time;
- show the baby what he can play and what is taboo; Naturally, the dog should have its own toys, and shoes, furniture and more are on the list of prohibitions;
- you should immediately accustom your pet to the toilet;
- introduce a feeding regimen from the first day, depending on age;
- to forbid everyone around, and, first of all, to treat the puppy to himself from his hands, and even more so from his own table.
For a husky, it is important to feel addicted to the leader of the pack. To begin with, the puppy must learn to respond to its nickname, as well as relieve the need for a designated place. On the walk the dog should go next to the owner, get used to the collar and leash. It is necessary to accustom the pet to the muzzle.
Husky is very pedantic, although this quality applies to other animals, for them the uniformity in behavior, environment and events is important. It is easier for them to master the skills of proper behavior if the owner reinforces the process with encouragement: affectionate, delicious or benevolent tone.
The pet will be able to understand that he was blundered somewhere if the owner immediately responds to unwanted behavior. Otherwise, the punishment will not bring any result, and the dog will sincerely be perplexed, not understanding what he was guilty of.
Experts recommend conducting training in such a way that inadvertently does not disturb the psyche of your four-legged pet, making him angry or, conversely, cowardly. And for this it is necessary to remember stability. The use of the same voice intonations, gestures and commands will make the learning process more comfortable for the animal.
Another feature is the occupation mode. It is worth allocating certain days and times for them. But active games with or without equipment can be carried out when the soul desires. Husky will never refuse to frolic once again.
Where to start
Representatives of the breed learn primary skills pretty well, especially when you consider some of the subtleties:
- the puppy will learn his nickname faster if used, calling for a bowl of food;
- the command “to me” is better perceived if reinforced by encouragement - affectionate intonations, a toy, but goodies in this case are rarely used;
- Husky is more focused on his own worldview than on the requirements of a person, this can not be changed, but you can slightly adjust the behavior using role-based training - the owner is hiding, and the dog should find him by voice;
- in order to teach the baby to go to the toilet in the same place, it is recommended to lure him to the desired place a quarter of an hour after eating with a toy or yummy.
Husky - dogs of incredible beauty, grace and power, undoubtedly attracting the attention of dog lovers. But before you start such an extraordinary pet, you should evaluate your own strength. Not only are husky puppies a pleasure not cheap, but it will also take a lot of effort, time and patience to curb this rebellious northern dog.
Owners should understand that neither a guard nor a guard will turn out from a sled dog, and her freedom of love does not exclude a craving for escapes. Husky dogs are not for everyone, and it’s better if the dog does the work he’s used to, rather than sitting idly in 4 walls, spoiling his property and howling with boredom.