It happened! You still decided to join the ranks of the happy owners of kote and the question arose before you: "What to look for when choosing a kitten?"
Where is the best place to buy a kitten?
Pet shops, like pet markets, are great places for the spread of microbes and various infections, and I doubt very much that in a pet store you can provide good enough care for animals until they are sold. And the price bites there, since the kitten can live there for more than one month before its sale.
Personally, I found a kitten of my breed from the breeder via the Internet, and I can note at least two advantages of such a purchase: the first is a lower price (read about the cost of a British kitten, how much is Maine Coon), and the second - I knew that the kittens are kept in home conditions, which was very encouraging regarding their health.
How to choose a British kitten?
Remember, you should not take a kitten, which at the sight of you began to hiss, bend into an arc and with all its appearance show its fright. This indicates only one thing, the kitten is not adapted to communication (it is not properly maintained, it is treated and treated poorly, most likely, it is not even vaccinated). Healthy and socially adapted kittens will not be scared if they are approached correctly and try to play.
Wherever you decide to buy a kitten, the seller must give at least minimal guarantees for the health of the pet. Even if it is only a few days, it will be enough to show the kitten to the veterinarian and solve the problems encountered with the seller if they are found.
Be sure to pay attention to the conditions of the kittens. The room should be clean, warm, there should be no cells and anything like that. Ask the breeder to show the mother of the kittens, the bowls with which they start to eat and the tray to which they should be accustomed.
Take on the hands of the cat who is attracted, examine its nose and eyes.
The kitten should not constantly sneeze, breathing should be clean. "Whistling" when breathing, copious discharge from the nose or eye - signs of existing diseases. The ears should also be clean, the presence of black crusts indicates the presence of an ear tick. Dirty ears are a sign of unscrupulous care by the breeder. Under the tail should also be clean and tidy.
The coat should be even, smooth and shiny. The presence of any wounds on the body of the animal, and even more so fleas, is unacceptable. The only thing that should not bother you is the presence of small scratches on the neck of the kitten. Most likely, these are the traces of the teeth of a caring mother, who transfers her baby from place to place or brings up, holding his teeth by the skin on his neck.
Remember, a good breeder is responsible for the kitten that he offers you, so he must provide maximum information and answer all your questions. Also, the breeder must provide you with support in any issues that may arise in the first time after the acquisition of a kitten. Personally, I exchanged phone numbers with a woman from whom I bought my “pussie”. I was calmer and you will be too.
What to look for when buying a kitten:
- Kitten's age (you cannot take a kitten younger than 2 months old). Some say that even 2.5 -3 months. - It is early. I got mine at exactly 2
- The food that the kitten will eat upon arrival at the new house (what kind of complementary foods was introduced to it, what do the breeders advise, if you can buy just such food, take an interest in the alternative)
- A kitten is accustomed to at least a tray and a claw-tip (very often sellers are desperately lying that the kitten will not cause trouble in this regard)
- Eyes, nose, ears are clean, without pathological discharge. The mouth is clean, the gums are pink, the teeth are even. Wool - shiny, healthy looking.
- Whether the kitten has been treated for fleas and worms. Have vaccinations been made (in this case, the kitten should already have a registered veterinary passport, in which the date, name of the vaccine, data on the veterinarian who was vaccinated) are recorded. At 8 - 12 weeks, the kitten should already have the first vaccination.
- Does he respond to the name. If not, then read how to choose a kitten name.
It will be interesting:
- feeding cats;
- how to determine the gender of a kitten.
I sincerely hope that I have helped you with some advice.
Let the pet bring you only positive emotions and deliver only pleasant worries.