The Thai cat from afar attracts attention due to its expressive blue eyes, which nature has endowed them. And where did the cats of Thai breed come from, so similar to Siamese? What differs from others: what are its characteristic features and features?
History of breed origin
The history of the breed began in Thailand (as its name says). Thai cat descended from a traditional Siamese breed and was bred by selection. The color of the cat was changed, the shape of the muzzle, its body.
The Thai cat breed standard was approved in Germany (only in 1990).
In Russia, a Thai cat is especially popular. To date, there are more than 10 nurseries where they breed this breed. Read about the nutritional status of your pet.
Thai cat breed description
Thai cat is often confused with Siamese. This is entirely justified, since Thais descended from Siamese and the breed has some similarities with their ancestors.
What is the difference between a Thai cat and a Siamese cat and how it looks, you can see in the photo. As you noticed, there are a lot of differences, you don’t even need to look very closely:
- The body of the Thai is much more massive, and the Siam has a slender, elongated, with a peculiar grace.
- The tips of the ears of the Thais are slightly rounded, while the Siamese are pointed.
- The muzzle has obvious differences. Thai cat has a round muzzle, Siamese - elongated.
- The section of the eyes is also different: in Thai cats, eyes are rounded, and in Siamese cats are pointed.
- The paws of Thais are shorter and more powerful than the Siamese.
Now you yourself can determine what breed the cat is in front of you, but the description of the cat and its characteristic features still need to be studied. This is important in order to know how to identify a Thai cat in case you want to buy such a charming pet for yourself or as a present.
Read about the article on cat names and cat nicknames.
External features and character
- A slender physique with well-developed muscles, elegant limbs, a round head, bright blue eyes, soft hair that does not have undercoat - these are the features that can be seen in a Thai cat. Their size and weight are average. Adult animals can weigh from 3 to 8 kilograms. The color of cats may vary (read more below).
- Cats of this breed are affectionate and flexible, they easily become attached to their owners and dutifully carry out some commands (if you train them). Thai kittens are very curious, smart and playful and sleep quite a bit when compared to other breeds (as they are excessively mobile). They are very "talkative", love to meow and purr. Thai cats are also excellent mousetraps, as evidenced by the numerous reviews of their owners.
- Their life expectancy is 10-14 years, but there have been times when Thais have survived to 28 years.
Care and maintenance
Caring for a Thai cat is quite simple, as the cats are in pretty good health, and their coat does not require special care (just wipe it with a wet hand a couple of times a week). You can feed standardly by choosing one of two feeding options: natural products, limiting the maximum intake of seafood and liver, or dry food and canned food. Therefore, compiled a list of the best food for Thais.
Colors of Thai cats with photo
A Thai cat can have several shades of color, but there is one pattern - the body is the same color, and the tips of the legs and tail, ears and muzzle (mask) will always be different from the body.
Let's look at photos with possible colors that nature gave to the Thai breed.
- Chocolate point (chocolate) is distinguished by a darkish (ivory) body shade and a light brown color of the muzzle, paws, ears and tail.
- Blue point (blue point) has a bluish tint in the body with dark gray shades of the tail, legs, muzzle and ears.
- Cream point (cream) differs in white with a shade of cream color with an excellent (darker, sometimes striped) shade on the limbs and muzzle.
- Tortie point is the color of the extremities in a tortoise color with standard shades (white, brownish) of the body. Turtle shade can be in combinations of black with red, gray or cream shades.
- Lilac point (lilac) color is distinguished by a cold shade with lilac on the extremities and muzzle.
- Fawn point (white). White color in combination with grayish-bluish tones on the muzzle and extremities is quite rare.
- Red point (red point) - this is a red tint on the limbs, ears and muzzle with a white body color.
- Tabby point (tabby point) is different in that the limbs, ears and muzzle are colored in stripes, and the body is white.
- Salt point (strength point) - a rather interesting color, where the limbs and muzzle are painted in a dark brown color. The muzzle of such a cat is almost black.
Fearless and independent is the main characteristic of the Thai cat breed. And also - the cat has a good memory and if someone offends secretly, she remembers it for a long time. Revenge (perhaps) will not be, but the favor of her Majesty the offender will be deprived almost forever. The curiosity of a Thai cat is stronger than its self-preservation instinct - the cat does not know the fear of heights, fear of fire or an open front door, therefore, the owners should be concerned about the safety of their pet.
Thai cats are very talkative and in their vocabulary a couple of dozen well-defined words. It is also noted that Thai kittens have rich facial expressions and faces that they wrinkle, do not leave anyone indifferent.
Thai cats and cats are easily susceptible to delicate training, but poorly tolerate overt pressure on their own personality, sometimes responding with aggression.
Being centenarians, Thai cats, however, have a number of hereditary diseases:
- hepatic amyloidosis leading to liver failure;
- cardiomyopathy (expansion of the heart muscle in cats);
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy;
- breast tumors;
Reviews of Thai cat owners
Stas: "Our Thai gangster. We bought a Thai cat three years ago and have never regretted it ever since. Even when we parted from the curtains on the windows (no, really, how much tattered curtains you can hang out with, it’s better to do without them) Even when we gave the neighbor the remnants of domestic plants (of course, dear cat, we understand that they are very tasty.) Even when they treated the neighbor’s dachshund, which our baby inflicted bloody wounds on his face (of course, taichon, the dachshund first started - why did she come out on a common platform?). But in general, the cat is good - even sometimes but it’s allowed to pet yourself! I think that we are lucky! "
Karina: “I found my Thai on the street. It was clear that this was a domestic cat, which was unclear how it turned out to be in a hostile environment. My heart trembled and I brought it to the house. The Thai’s heart thawed only about a month later when he began to jump onto my lap. and purr like a medium-sized tractor. From that moment our friendship began. He escorts me to work and meets me at the window when I just get to the house. In general, I noticed mystical abilities behind him. He once helped me find my lost passport. So far, I rushed around the apartment in search of Cat sitting near the chest and looked at me with irony Catching his eye, I looked under the dresser -. Passport was there. "
Natasha: “I am a fan of this breed, but I want to warn those who are just thinking about buying a Thai kitten - are you ready for the kitten to be intrusive? Thai cats don’t walk by themselves, they literally hang on the owner, purring endlessly!” But in general "Thai cats aren’t bored. You can rave, talk to them, and even discuss and gossip with them!"
Where to buy a Thai kitten?
If you want to make yourself such a faithful friend as a Thai cat, do not worry in Ukraine and in Russia there are nurseries (breeders) where cats of this breed are bred. If you do not want to buy a kitten in the nursery, because there are quite high prices due to the pedigree and other factors, then you can buy from the breeder.
Below are several options for Thai cats cattery where you can buy a kitten in Kiev, Moscow:
- //www.thai-pride.ru (nursery "Thai Pride" in Moscow);
- //thai-cats.com.ua (nursery “Royal Symphony” in Dnepropetrovsk).
To buy a Thai kitten in Belarus, you need to contact the breeders, searching for queries on the Internet (in the desired area), as there are no professional nurseries where this breed is bred.
Interested in how much a Thai cat costs? We can say only approximately, since the cost of a kitten of any breed is influenced by many factors. The color of a Thai kitten is greatly influenced by its color, depending on which its cost varies from 6 to 30 thousand rubles (2,500–9,000 hryvnias).
Get yourself a Thai cat, and she will become for you a true friend, always rejoicing at your arrival.