Exotic Shorthair cat is a descendant of a Persian cat. The birthplace of a cat is the USA, where an exotic kitten was first bred.
History of breed origin
Cat Exot was bred about 60 years ago as a result of crossing cats of breeds such as American Shorthair and Persian. The purpose of crossing the breeds was to improve the wool of the Persians.
Breeders were dissatisfied with the breeding, but these "miracle thick-bumps" with the face of a little bear cub conquered many breeders and ordinary people with their charm. Already in 1967, these cute "cubs" were recognized, and in the 80th year this breed was legalized.
And so the cat breed “Exot Shorthair” came into being: a thick-footed plush kitten with a funny face.
Love for meow
Attitude to children
Relationship with strangers
Getting along with others
Exot - description and standard
Exotic cat has huge similarities with its ancestor (Persian), which is why this cat can be called Pers-Exot. However, the cat exot has significant differences from the Persian. So that you more clearly understand what the features of this breed are, we bring to your attention the breed standard. Based on this standard, you will understand how a cat looks (how it differs from a Persian).
Here are the main signs of the breed that can be seen in the photo:
- Head It has an average size and a rounded shape:
- the face is flattened,
- eyes are large, set wide and very expressive,
- snub nose
- lowered cheeks,
- ears of a small size ("look" down).
- Body medium size, the joint is strong, the muscles are not bulging. If you look at the cat from the side, then its body resembles a square.
- Limbs medium (not long, but not short), quite strong, both front and hind limbs.
- Tail small, proportional to the body of the animal.
- Wool short and soft, like plush, there is an undercoat.
- Colors the breed inherited from the Persians and can be completely different, as one, so two and three colors with spots (tabby, point) of different sizes.
Exot cat has an average weight (4-7 kg) and dimensions, as well as a life span (up to 15 years).
External features and character
The description of this breed, as well as its character, is perfectly represented by the "eyes of its owners and the breeder" (whose reviews will not leave anyone indifferent). Consider its main features and character traits.
Exotic cats practically did not inherit anything from their American ancestor and, strangely enough, in their character there are similarities with the second ancestor - the Persian. Their voice is quiet and calm, like themselves, is heard only on redone moments (when the kitty wants something).
The expression of the face of this "plush kitty" is unusually cute, which makes Exot a favorite for children. Exotics are quiet and patient pets, with a fairly calm character. They are very smart, characterized by cheerfulness, active and completely non-aggressive. These cats get along easily with both children and animals. Their devotion has no limit they suffer from loneliness and really love the attention to their person.
These cats are ready to travel with their owners, as they are unnecessarily attached to it. Therefore, if you have such a pet in the house, try to respect his affection for you and appreciate his love, do not leave it with strangers (if you intend to move).
Caring for the exotics is not as simple as we would like, but there are no special difficulties either. Features for their care are the same as in Persian. They are associated with the features of their health - some physiological disadvantages:
- Shortness of breath (due to a flattened nose), which is sometimes accompanied by snoring;
- Deformations of the jaw (teeth);
- Tearing, due to which the eyes of the animal should be monitored daily.
Otherwise, these cats have pretty good health, inherited from their second parent - "American."
If we talk about caring for exotics, in addition to washing the eyes, then you must still not forget about the following points:
- follow the claws, providing a claw point, do not forget to cut the tips of the claws;
- comb out the hair (once a week) and wash the cat once a season (three months), but more often during molting;
- after washing, it is advisable to dry the cat's coat, as the undercoat is quite thick and dries for a long time. If you do not help the cat dry, it can catch a cold;
- do not forget about the correct feeding (do not feed human food): balance and vitamins;
- it is necessary to periodically remove worms and fleas from a cat.
Try to give love to exotics and give more attention, as this is the main condition for their life expectancy (they become depressed from loneliness and die much earlier).
Want to learn something about the breed, but be lazy to read, then watch this video clip:
Colors of exotics with photo
The breed has a lot of colors, as there may be different combinations of colors and tabby. We will show some of them (see photos).
- Red tabby - color with a bright red tint on the back and less pronounced on the stomach.
- Marble - color, the shades of which can be different (red with beige, gray with black), but the "pattern" has such "marble" lines. See photo
- Black color has no other shades.
- Blue is a gray-blue hue.
- Tortoise color is a combination of colors.
- White color - the whiteness of which strikes with its purity.
- The red color has a delicate shade of beige (cream).
How to describe the nature of this breed in a few words? Do you know a Persian cat? Not at all like that! Exotic cat is more active and smarter, more playful and more peaceful.
If in a word to describe the temperament of the breed, then this word will be serenity!
Breeders and just owners of an exotic shorthair cat note the special sociability of the breed. They are equally happy to communicate with the owner of the house, and with young children. Exotics, surrounded by their human pack, behave calmly both within the home and on long journeys.
However, if you plan to train an exotic cat a couple of tricks, then your attempts will be futile - the intelligence of this breed is not adapted to human whims.
Like all artificially bred breeds, an exotic cat has a number of hereditary diseases:
- deformation of teeth and jaws;
- chronic diseases of the sinuses;
- epiphora - increased lacrimation;
- hereditary kidney disease.
Reviews of owners of an exotic shorthair cat
Lyudmila: “It looks like a bun, but not a toy! Different passions talk about this breed - and supposedly there are breathing problems due to the peculiar structure of the muzzle, and they are allergenic, as if they are constantly molting ... Well, I don’t know. Our Sharf has no such problems I admit that we were just lucky with him, but not everything is so rosy - Sharfik’s character is not as soft as his plush coat.
It can also scratch if he doesn’t like something, and he can defiantly ignore it. At the same time, he, like all exotics, is rather phlegmatic. The choleric in it wakes up only at night! He doesn’t like children and excessive caresses, but Sharfik is very intelligent. "
Irina: “Our cat’s name is Boniface, but simply Bonya is a cat too. He’s very sensitive to the general atmosphere in the family, he feels everyone’s mood. He doesn’t like to sit on his knees, but he touches us with his paw. He wakes up in the morning and loves to play with water from the tap.Bonke has been 6 years old and for all this time he hasn’t spoiled a single thing!
She noticed that my exotic cat is quite touchy. They cannot be called vindictive, but they know how to be offended very effectively. I advise the owners of kittens to pay special attention to nutrition, because our babies are prone to obesity. "
Stepan: “Exotic cats have always been in our family, so I can consider myself a specialist in breed. So, I recommend - fat women, but not simpletons! They are optimistic, but not populists. The activity of exotic people is average, they will not hang out on the curtains, but they will play intelligently with a toy bought for them.
For strangers they won’t go for anything in life, and they love their flock wholeheartedly. It is funny that innate intelligence combines with terrible curiosity. They’re also typical housekeepers, and on occasion they’ll steal something. "
Where to buy an exotic kitten?
How much does an exotic kitten cost in a particular nursery can be found directly from its sellers (nurseries or breeders), where you can buy them as a brood appears. This breed is bred, both in Russia, Ukraine, and in Belarus and many other countries. Here are the nurseries where you can get these cute kittens:
- in Moscow - //www.lumicat.ru,
- in Kiev - //ketmurketbaffi.jimdo.com,
- in Minsk - //havitcat.by/.
The cost of a kitten of this unusual exotic breed directly depends on some factors (clean breed, color, good breeding, is it accustomed to the toilet, to the feed). Exotic kittens are sold both at breeders and in professional nurseries, where the price is much higher. However, on average, the price of a kitten is from 7,000 to 50,000 rubles (1,500-10,000 hryvnias).
If you need a cat more, read about the Maine Coon cat.