Any cat lover who has these beautiful creatures living in the house, no doubt noticed how they actively stomp their front paws, carefully massaging their bedding, blanket or the owner himself. Why the cat is stamping its forepaws is of interest to many. There is no version that answers this question. They all talk about the natural instincts inherent in the pet from birth.
Having learned more about them, the owner will better understand his furry pet and will explain to himself why the cat is marking its feet. This will allow you to establish the closest relationship with the cat, which will make living in the same house especially interesting.
A series of false explanations of the unusual at first glance behavior of the pet, which is stamped on by the front paws, and if the owner is guided by them, then he will not be able to understand his pet. In such situations, it is likely that the relationship with the animal will become strange, and the cat will receive chronic stress from the fact that he will feel vulnerable and helpless.
It is also unacceptable to punish an animal for its natural behavior, even if the cat stomps and accidentally launched a claw into the owner. This is equivalent to scolding a person because, having frozen, he begins to shift from foot to foot and cringe. The answer to how to change, without causing the cat psychological trauma, the behavior of the pet, if it starts to not like, is. Several recommendations are given in this article, it remains only to choose one method suitable for a particular situation.
Reasons why stamping
A cat is a unique animal that, having accepted the offer of a person to live in his home, has retained its wild roots. Because of this, the instinct due to which the cat tramples over the litter with its front paws or sorts them while sitting in the hands of the owner, is sometimes manifested in many domestic, even the most decorative, pets. It turns on in an animal for several reasons..
- Wildlife Memories. The ancestors of domestic cats were forest dwellers, eventually agreeing not only on the neighborhood with a man, but also on close friendship. The cat has preserved some habits of its former life to the present. In nature, there are enough poisonous insects and snakes that are not averse to relaxing in the cozy litter of a cat's den, therefore, having returned from hunting, the cat will surely stomp on it with its front paws, driving out uninvited guests. This also helped to check the litter for sharp branches that could damage the animal. Domestic cats play in preparing the lair, remembering their wild past, and begin to rhythmically stomp their paws at the place where they are going to lie.
- Child instinct. Some cats still have a childish instinct, which they retain from birth until their last days. Being still blind, kittens, starting to suck mother’s milk, actively crush the cat’s stomach with their paws, stimulating her lactation. At this moment, the kids do not yet have contacts with the outside world and therefore do not experience such an unpleasant feeling as fear. They are sure that they are completely safe next to their mother. Domestic cats trample on the paws of the owners and begin to purr with pleasure, returning to childhood because of complete protection.
- Hunting period. This behavior is characteristic of both a cat and a cat. When a pet has a desire (for a cat at the time of estrus, and for a cat chaotically), he begins to behave more playfully, and also often and loudly meows, calling for a partner. The stamping of cats with their paws is characteristic of them during this period, even when the animals are kept alone, since the feline instinct dictates the behavior. The cat is trampled with its front paws on the litter or the owner, since at such a moment it is natural for the animal. Most often, while working with paws, cats strongly arch their backs, and cats can imitate mating.
- Manifestation of full recognition of a person as his property. Cats, living next to a man, can still remain independent and take him only as a source of food. However, if a close relationship is established between the owner and his pet, the cat accepts the person as his property. The owner of the animal, in the understanding of man, he will never be. The cat, caressing, begins to actively mark its owner and for this is stamped with its front paws, on the pads of which there are a large number of special glands. Also at the same time, the pet often leaves marks and saliva.
No matter what causes a special cat massage, the owner must know how to stop this phenomenon if it causes discomfort.
How to stop a cat when stamping
When the cat begins to purr and tramples around the owner with its paws, then the massage is usually pleasant for the person, but only until the pet is carried away and begins to release its claws. The cat presses with such force on the skin that it starts to pierce it, causing pain to the person. It is unacceptable to scold the animal in such a situation, but it should not be tolerated when the pet stomps, releasing claws. If you simply scold and drive the cat away, he still won’t understand what caused the owner negative emotions, and at the same time, holding a grudge, will change the trusting attitude to a person to an alienated one.
In order to stop it without prejudice to the pet, if it stomps, pricking the skin with its claws, you need to know how to do it correctly. You can do one of the following methods:
- stroking the legs - such an action when the cat stomps, stimulates her to remove the claws and continue the massage without them. If the owner, each time the pet is carried away, will do just that to him; then soon the cat becomes so accustomed to the ritual that if at the very beginning of his treading it is held on the paws, then he will not release his claws;
- laying the cat - when the pet stomps, as soon as its claws are released, you should start stroking it more actively and gradually lay it on its side. This action allows you to quickly stop the massage and at the same time not harm the psychological state of the pet;
- distraction - it is enough just to change the nature of caresses, and the cat, due to new sensations, at some point will stop the massage, and when it is renewed, it will no longer work with its claws.
In all cases, if the cat is stamped with its front paws, this is a natural instinctive behavior for it, which allows the pet to show its natural properties. Scolding for this is unacceptable.