Coryza in cats is scientifically called rhinitis. When it occurs, you should pay attention to its characteristic signs, identify the causes of the appearance, so that the doctor can quickly, correctly prescribe the procedure. Only he knows how to treat snot in a cat so as not to harm his body.
Signs of a runny nose
A number of pet ailments indicate the presence of rhinitis:
- constant sneezing
- panting through the nasal cavity
- sharp decrease in appetite
- mucosal sinus course
The fluid released from the nose is distinguished by color, frequency of appearance, and transparency. Sometimes a cat snot from the nose with bloody discharge, saturated shades. Each sign means a specific cause of the disease.
Causes of snot
Cats are very sensitive to the environment. You can catch a runny nose anywhere. It is important at the first stage to identify where it came from - the usual is a cold or a symptom of another serious ailment. To rid the animal of this scourge, it is necessary to look for the source of its occurrence.
Causes of snot:
- fungal infections - Such bacteria most often do not cause cat significant harm. The outflows are rare, clean. In the acute form of the virus, excretions become more frequent, crusts form, and the nasal cavity becomes clogged. With this disease, targeted drugs cope. Ordinary drops can lead to a complication of the condition.
- viruses - in this case, problems with the digestive tract, sneezing, pus in front of the eyes are added to the snot. The treatment is carried out comprehensively, only by a veterinarian, because many feline viruses have no cure. A timely vaccination will save the pet, it must be done regularly.
- allergy - here any new object that appears in the house can cause snot: a household chemical product, shampoo, a new filler for the tray, food, plant - any irritant, except distilled water, can lead to an allergic reaction. Tearing of the eyes, excessive discharge from the nose, rapid breathing, itching are the main signs of this problem in a cat.
- chronic ailments - here the cause of snot is any disease. Due to the low resistance of the body, the cat becomes susceptible to any changes.
- ear infection - The mucous membrane of the nose is softer than the ear, and therefore more susceptible. Sinus discharge is a result of ear problems. In this case, ear diseases are treated first, then rhinitis.
- long stay in the cold - what to do when a cat has snot from hypothermia? Warm it in a blanket, move a heating pad to the extremities. It is forbidden to give any alcohol-containing substances inside, to lower an animal in hot water. Such actions will lead to the cessation of the heart, respiratory arrest.
- neoplasms - cause the appearance of thick snot with blood. Rhinitis goes into a chronic stage. The cat constantly sneezes, fiddles with the nostrils, there is some deformation of the muzzle. Most often, tumor diseases affect animals over seven years old, however, this is also found in young individuals.
- alien bodies - a blade of grass, a seed, a speck of dust, a splinter from a claw, sand - the presence of any small object in the sinuses will explain why the cat's snot does not stop flowing. If what is inside the nostrils is visible - the owner can extract it yourself. After the procedure is completed, regenerating drops are dripped within 7 days.
- congenital pathologies - this item includes deformations, all kinds of curvatures. They also arise in the process of injuries (blows, fights). The discharge is cloudy, thick, abscesses occur. It is treated by surgical intervention.
- parasites - small pests (ticks, fleas, worms) cause various causes of the common cold.
If the cat has green snot and thick discharge, these are symptoms of advanced rhinitis, the acute stage of the disease. The veterinarian will help the pet cope with the disease without complications for health. Not the common cold is treated. You need to get rid of the disease that provoked him. Only a specialist is able to identify it.
First aid for rhinitis
A runny nose causes difficulty in breathing in a cat, the sense of smell disappears. If the snot flows constantly and the path to the vet clinic is long, it is important for the pet to alleviate the condition. An effective method will be a compress of ordinary salt, warmed up, wrapped in a clean piece of cloth. The main thing is to observe that the cat does not have burns.
A solution of beet juice, soda with a weak percentage is able to clean the sinuses. A cotton swab removes unnecessary substances near the nose, you can not stick it inside. Such actions will harm.
It is difficult to cure snot at home without the supervision of a specialist. Cats are sensitive creatures, they react sharply to any changes. Clean breathing, a healthy nasal cavity are one of the main factors for the normal functioning of a pet. At the first sign of snot, treatment should be started immediately.