You should understand why the cat smells from the mouth, this can be a signal of serious health problems. If the stench from the mouth appeared once, then you should not worry, but if it appears with enviable frequency, then you should consult a specialist.
Many different bacteria accumulate in the oral cavity, some of which are beneficial, and some may be harmful. A kitten is the same living creature, and various pathogenic processes can occur in his body. One of these processes is the stinky breath.
The most common causes of stench are bacteria in the oral cavity, as well as diseases of the internal organs. If this problem appeared after another snack and went away by itself, then you should not worry. But if there are notes of acetone or rot in the smell, then this can become one of the symptoms of the disease.
Reasons why a cat has bad breath:
- Stomatitis - inflammatory processes are observed in the pet’s mouth.
- Gingivitis - The inner surface of the cat’s mouth is inflamed. If you do not take any treatment, it can develop into an infectious disease that will destroy bone tissue and cause serious harm to the oral cavity. The kitten may lose its teeth, resulting in rapid exhaustion and death.
- Abscess - Most often observed in cats. The reason for this is getting a foreign body into the tooth, as a result of which inflammation develops and many harmful bacteria appear.
- Teeth change - in kittens, teeth begin to change in 3-4 months. This may cause an unpleasant odor.
- Polyps - A benign tumor whose location is the nasal passages or the larynx of a cat.
- Diabetes - observed in old cats. In this case, the animal has a fruity breath.
- Reflux - differently, heartburn.
- Lung diseases - The inflammatory processes that occurred there can also be a cause of stench from the cat's mouth.
- Liver disease - characterized by the smell of ammonia.
- Benign and malignant tumors.
- Gastrointestinal diseases - oncology, indigestion, etc.
If a cat’s bad breath appears due to problems in the oral cavity, they can be resolved on their own. Ointments, compresses, special food and brushing your teeth will help to cope with the disease. Usually these are problems with teeth or gums. But, if the kitten chews slowly, it is difficult for him to process, scratches his mouth with his foot or bends his head on his side, you should seek help from a veterinarian. Perhaps the pet has one of the above diseases.
If a bad smell has become a symptom of an illness of the internal organs, then qualified help is not enough. The owner of the animal cannot determine anything.
Causes of smell can be categorized by age
Kittens will most likely have:
- Untimely change of teeth.
- Wounds, oral ulcers.
- Leftover food, foreign body in the tooth, because of which bacteria begin to develop.
- A stone on the teeth, in which the gum moves away from the tooth itself. Harmful bacteria begin to colonize it, which leads to infections and inflammations.
- Gum injury, causing inflammation. For this reason, the cat stinks of rotten mouth.
- Malignant tumors.
- Diseases of the internal organs of a kitten.
We distinguish diseases by smell
A bad breath from a cat’s mouth can make it clear to its owner, which is worth paying attention to. Gastritis, ulcer and other diseases of the esophagus give out putrid odor. Liver diseases are characterized by a sweet smell. The smell of ammonia, signals a kidney disease. The smell of acetone or overripe apples indicates the development of diabetes. If it stinks of rotten, then, most likely, problems in the oral cavity of the animal.
Halitosis (smelly odor) is not the only symptom that may worry the wearer. In addition, the pet's appetite may decrease, it becomes difficult for him to chew food, especially hard.
The cat’s strong breath can be accompanied by diarrhea or constipation. In this case, the cause is a digestive tract disease.
If strong thirst, changes in weight up or down, weakness, indifference to everything, the smell of acetone from the oral cavity are added to the stench from the mouth, then this indicates diabetes.
In conjunction with the stench, frequent urination, pain when going to the toilet can be observed, all this speaks about diseases of the urethra.
If there is increased salivation
This is one of the signs of stomatitis. In this case, it smells of rotten meat from the cat's mouth. In addition to stomatitis, the smell of rotten meat can indicate an infectious process in the body, the presence of a foreign body in the oral cavity, or renal failure.
Tooth loss is associated
Some breeds of cats are very prone to diseases of the oral cavity, especially for Persians and Abyssinians. The owner, who does not monitor the nutrition of his pet, as well as the condition of the oral cavity, makes his ward lose his teeth early.
If the following symptoms appear, you need to visit a veterinarian:
- putrefactive odor.
- swollen gums.
- strong salivation.
- decreased appetite or complete refusal of food.
If such symptoms are present, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. Nobody will be able to make a diagnosis on their own. The doctor will examine the animal, take the necessary tests, and determine the causes of the bad breath in the cat.
In the process of examination, an X-ray is used, which allows you to establish diseases of the bones or teeth, and also shows a tumor, if any. Ultrasound will determine the condition of internal organs, their size.
If it is difficult to establish the cause of the stench, the doctor may recommend an endoscopy. This procedure is carried out using a thin tube, which is placed in the digestive tract. At its end there is a camera that will show the state of the digestive tract.
Usually, the diagnosis of the disease consists in taking urine, feces and blood, an x-ray, an ultrasound and a smear from the mouth of a kitten.
To determine the source of bad breath from the mouth of a kitten, you need to contact the appropriate specialists, only they, based on the examination, will establish a diagnosis and prescribe treatment. if the problem is in the oral cavity, then, most likely, brushing the cat’s teeth will be able to cope with the situation, but this is only when a yellow coating appears.
In order to prevent pets, it is necessary to give special feeds that reduce plaque. Solid food helps cleanse teeth and get rid of stone..
Only a veterinarian can choose a treatment for bad breath in a cat. It all depends on the disease.
- If the kitten eats only soft food, then it should be replaced with a harder one. A cheap food, balanced and full of vitamins and minerals.
- If helminths are found in a cat, then the doctor will prescribe anthelmintic drugs.
- With kidney diseases, drugs are prescribed that restore this organ.
- With dental diseases, procedures are performed that remove caries and plaque.
- If a cat develops diabetes mellitus and a smelly odor appears against this background, then a therapy is prescribed that helps to get rid of it. However, she does not cope with the disease.
If the pet’s gum is in poor condition, has dental problems, as well as gingivitis, then under anesthesia they can remove the stone, remove the tooth or formed polyps. If a tumor was detected, then surgical intervention is possible.
If a pet smells bad from stomatitis from a pet’s oral cavity, then the doctor prescribes ointments, antibiotics, or, in the last stages, all teeth are removed. With an abscess, a tooth is opened and brushed, antibiotics are prescribed. In advanced stages, a diseased tooth may be removed.
If the cat stinks of his mouth with diseases of the internal organs, then a balanced diet is prescribed, and the necessary medicines are prescribed.
How to get rid of stench
If the cause of the stench is not a disease, then special powders that are sold at the pet store will help get rid of it. They can be added to your pet’s food or water. This method can help only if the stench appears occasionally and the reason for this is the food of the pet.
To prevent a cat from halitosis or prevent a relapse, simple recommendations must be followed.
- Show your pet more often to the veterinarian. He will evaluate the state of health and prevent the occurrence of unpleasant consequences.
- From a very early age, you need to teach a kitten to brush his teeth, treat cuts in the oral cavity. So in the future he will not be afraid of this procedure, which will facilitate the care of him.
- The pet must eat properly and balanced. Soft and hard foods should be present in the diet.
- You need to purchase a special toy for animals, which will help save them from some problems. Gnawing her, the gums will be cleaned of stuck food, the toy will prevent the formation of plaque, caries and stone on the teeth.
Every owner should know that an unpleasant smell signals a serious illness of his pet, which could result in death. The most common cause of smelly odors are oral problems. However, halitosis may indicate more serious diseases of the internal organs, which cannot be cured at home. All these troubles can be avoided, you just have to follow the pet’s oral hygiene and seek help from a specialist in a timely manner.