On average, pregnancy in cats lasts 65 days (plus or minus 5 days). This period usually guarantees the birth of healthy kittens. But how to find out that a cat gives birth - not every person knows the signs of this event. Many inexperienced owners begin to worry about the upcoming event, as soon as they notice that the pet is in position. The owner of the cat, who is due to give birth for the first time, experiences special experiences. And the pet itself often shows anxiety. And I must say: not in vain.
But do not worry too much. You will have enough time to familiarize yourself with the peculiarities of the cat’s behavior during this period and prepare the necessary accessories for taking birth at home. And first, let's try to understand what signs it is possible to guess that the cat is pregnant. It will be easiest to recognize an “interesting position” and calculate the date of fertilization if the mating has been planned, and you know from what moment you keep a pregnancy report, which is conditionally divided into three stages with each characteristic characteristic.
Stages of carrying kittens
For the first time, a cat may become pregnant at the age of more than six months, when the first estrus usually appears. But most veterinarians believe that healthy cats can be taken out only by a stronger female, who is at least 12 months old. Pregnancy takes place in 3 stages:
After mating, the cat shows swelling of the genitals, but this does not mean that it is fertilized. Clearly, the first signs appear from the 3rd week:
- the pet becomes lethargic, eats poorly, does not move much, sleeps more;
- within 2-3 days she has repeatedly observed vomiting;
- nipples increase and acquire a bright pink color or, conversely, lighten;
- when probing the genitals of a cat, the veterinarian notices an increase in the uterus.
In the middle period of pregnancy, the animal noticeably gains weight, since the fetus is actively developing. By the 6th week, the amount of amniotic fluid increases, and the kittens begin to move for the first time. Stroking the belly of the pet, you can carefully "feel" the future children.
At 7-9 weeks, the cat’s excitement intensifies, she frantically rushes around the apartment in search of a future “nest”. Kittens are actively moving, which is especially noticeable in a sleeping cat. The animal restlessly licks its genitals.
Preparation for childbirth
Often, domestic pets give birth so quietly and accurately that the owner does not even have time to notice any traces of the event. But in case of complications, the pet may need help from a person, so it’s better to find out in advance how to determine what the cat is giving birth to and carefully prepare for this event.
By the end of the third trimester of pregnancy, a caring owner should stock up with items and medicines that can be useful during childbirth, as well as immediately after them. So, if you are worried about the health of the nursery and its future children, you must have at your fingertips by the time of lambing:
- Oxytocin is a birth-stimulating drug in case of delay.
- Sterile latex gloves.
- Sterile scissors and thread.
- Antiseptic agents in the form of powder and liquid intended for animals.
- Zelenka and cotton balls for processing the umbilical cord.
- A special suction, pear or pipette to remove fluid from the respiratory tract in a kitten if he begins to suffocate.
- Clean terry towels to wipe kittens.
- Phone of the veterinarian for an urgent consultation.
- Cat milk substitute (it may not appear on her).
- A sturdy cardboard box for kittens with low sides (it doesn’t matter if you purchase it at a pet store or do it yourself - the main thing is that the cat can freely "travel" from and into it without disturbing the kittens).
Signs of the approach of childbirth
So, you have already purchased and prepared everything you need, it remains only to wait until the delivery begins. And here the question again arises: how do you understand that the cat is giving birth, the signs of the end of the pregnancy seem to be there, but the inexperienced owner needs additional information in order to have time for the pet to come to the rescue.
The signs of an approaching birth in a cat are as follows:
- the animal is very anxious, meows loudly, looking for a comfortable, often hidden place for relief from the burden;
- the mammary glands greatly increase in size, the skin around the nipples dries and peels;
- 24 hours before lambing, the lactation is observed in the pet;
- body temperature drops to 37 degrees and below;
- on the day of lambing, the pet completely loses interest in food;
- a few hours before lambing, the kitty often begins to bend in the back;
- the animal licks the genitals, from which a malodorous smell often emanates (sometimes you may notice the birth plug passing out, which is a mucous clot - transparent or having a pinkish, yellowish or even greenish tint, but usually the animal "tidies up" the plug, coming out in parts, together with secretions )
Departure of the cork and an actively “moving” belly report that the fights are about to begin or have already begun contractions.
How can a man giving birth to a cat help
If a cat buried itself in the far hidden corner ahead of lambing, there is no need to disturb it. Just be prepared in case of trouble to quickly come to the rescue. But when the pet is nervous without leaving you - she definitely wants to be helped immediately.
In this case, you must certainly calm her down and caress. Do not let the cat squat: this way it can harm your children. Try to lay her to one side, caressing and cheering with warm words. In addition, you can independently stimulate childbirth by stroking the tummy and spine. When the pet is pushing, let it rest its hind legs on your hand. Always keep clean, warm water close at hand: an exhausted woman in labor will often experience increased thirst.
Kittens, ready to be born, line up in the line of birth in the two-horned uterus of the animal. The birth process is divided into 3 stages:
- The cat feels uterine contractions and, at the same time, urge to empty the intestines. The cervix begins to open slightly. Often at this stage a birth cork comes out along with mucous secretions.
- In the second phase, contractions become more intense and painful, the cervix opens completely, preparing to let kittens moving through the birth canal. The cat strains, struggling to “push through” the cubs. So a healthy kitten is born with a favorable course of childbirth. If the amniotic fluid does not burst earlier, the baby is born in it. Usually, the woman in labor releases the kitten by gnawing the shell. But it happens that she leaves the place of delivery in fright or is lost at the first lambing, and then you should come to the rescue by cutting the bubble with sterile scissors so that the cub does not suffocate. The next calf should come out in 15, a maximum of 40 minutes after the first.
- At the final stage of labor, the placenta is separated from the woman in labor. One of the children's places the cat must eat - this will help her to quickly become aware of herself as a mother and accelerate lactation. Make sure that after each kitten there is a last. The placenta remaining in the body of the pet can rot, which will lead to severe inflammation, or even death of the animal. At the same time, the cat can eat a stillborn or too weak kitten, which is best avoided.
Well - the birth is behind. Make sure that your pet gives birth to all kittens by probing the abdomen: it should become soft and empty. If you still have doubts, and the cat is in no hurry to feed and caress the cubs, but still shows signs of anxiety - seek the advice of a specialist.
You can also ask a question to the staff veterinarian of our site who will answer them as soon as possible in the comment box below.