How pleasant it is to watch your dog running and selflessly playing on the lawn! Alas, this is not always the case. Dogs, like humans, are very prone to serious infectious diseases, many of which lead to very negative consequences. The causative agents of the latter include, in particular, streptococcus. In dogs, this microorganism is quite common, but does not become less dangerous from this.
Streptococci are opportunistic bacteria that usually live in the upper respiratory tract, lower genitourinary system. May cause localized infection or sepsis in dogs of all ages. Puppies have a higher chance of streptococcal infection than if compared with other age and gender groups. For dogs in which streptococcus was detected, the infection is usually associated with dermatitis (29%), pneumonia (24%), sepsis (13%). Blood poisoning in embryos or newborn puppies, leading to abortion or death of the newborn, is observed in approximately 16% of cases. Thus, the prevalence of this disease is very high.
The main pathological effect
If a puppy becomes infected in an embryonic state, then streptococcal sepsis develops in 62.5%, which ends with an abortion or the death of a newborn. An autopsy reveals a significant narrowing of the lumen of blood vessels in all internal organs. Inflammation and necrosis of the vessel wall, as well as surrounding tissues, are noted.
Streptococcal infection in dogs in some cases manifests itself as inflammation of the placenta in bitches. Interestingly, sepsis is rarely diagnosed in animals from one week to one year old. Streptococcal infection often leads to this outcome in the case of dogs older than a year. Endocarditis and encephalitis in adult dogs are much more common. In cases of endocarditis, the wall of the damaged valve is unevenly thickened, covered with numerous hemorrhages. Often a thick coating of fibrin is found on the walls of the internal organs.
As we have already said, the activity of these microorganisms is often caused by bronchopneumonia. A hemorrhagic form is possible, proceeding much harder. Here, an effect is observed that is directly opposite to the above: most often pneumonia is observed in dogs older than a week old. It proceeds extremely hard, lung tissue almost atrophies, clogs with fibrin and neutrophils. This is due to the main symptoms:
- The dog quickly becomes sluggish and inactive, he has a catastrophic (three to four degrees) body temperature rises. The dog refuses food, but drinks a lot and eagerly. In the photo, such animals look haggard and "lost."
- Breathing is shallow, very difficult. Even by ear, grating wheezing and gurgling in the lungs can be detected.
In bitches, the symptoms are no less serious: as we said, placentitis is observed, as well as vaginitis, endometritis, which sometimes degenerates into a pyometer. The dog at the same time tries to move as little as possible, it lies almost all the time, rising only to quench thirst. The animal quickly loses weight, urine - saturated color, often with an admixture of blood, as well as feces. It is important to know that the disease can occur in several types:
- Super sharp. Sudden weakness and a sharp increase in temperature. There is pulmonary edema, the allocation of bloody foam from the respiratory tract. Death occurs within a few hours. So, in particular, hemolytic streptococcus in dogs is manifested.
- The acute type of current. Almost everything is the same as in the above case, but the disease develops longer. Strong cyanosis (cyanosis) of all visible mucous membranes, exhaustion, abortion in pregnant bitches is noted. Death occurs within two to three days from sepsis or pulmonary edema.
- Subacute variety. Fever of an intermittent type, arthritis and arthrosis are possible, ulcerations appear on the skin. Exhausting diarrhea, cystitis, nephritis, sepsis are possible. If veterinary care has not been provided, death occurs within a couple of weeks maximum, from exhaustion.
- Chronic variety. Rhinitis, otitis media, sometimes - fever. Pneumonia develops, abortions are noted.
What treatment is used? Most often, strong antibiotics of a wide spectrum of action, means that support cardiac activity and respiration are used. Excellent results are shown by serum obtained from the blood of sick animals. Droppers are prescribed with drugs that relieve intoxication, vitamin preparations to restore the body. It is important to show the dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible, when the very first signs appear. Otherwise, the saddest outcome is possible.