Is it possible for dogs to grape: how to recognize the danger in the product

Almost everyone knows that you can’t give grapes to a dog, but what is the reason for the ban? It's hard to believe, but the true reason has not yet been clarified, although this issue has been relevant since 1989!

A treat or poison?

Grapes are a vine bearing fruit. In a broad sense, plants are divided into cultural and others, in other words - wild. Cultivated grapes are edible for people; they are consumed in fresh, dried and heat-treated form. From the seeds (seeds) of grapes produce oil. Not the last place is wine and balsamic production. It would seem that such a tasty, healthy and juicy berry can serve as a good treat, especially if the pet is not indifferent to sweets. But raisins and grapes are the two most toxic (from natural) products for a dog!

Note! The toxicity of grapes is not affected by its environmental cleanliness. Even if the berries were grown in your garden, were not sprayed and were not processed by other means, they are also dangerous for the dog!

For the first time, the connection between eating grapes and acute renal failure in dogs was established in 1989 and since then, doctors have been puzzled by the question of why poisoning occurs. The composition of grapes of various varieties includes more than 70 substances: water, fiber, nutrients, vitamins, trace elements, amino acids, fatty acids. Dogs do not have an acute reaction to the same components in other products, and considering the negligible mass fraction of substances, even more questions arise.

It is interesting! Veterinarians suggest that it is not in the composition of the product, but in their combination. Grapes are, in fact, unique. In the world there are similar, but not similar berries. In addition, grapes of different varieties can vary greatly in nutritional composition and, most likely, some types of berries are not dangerous for tetrapods, but which ones are unknown.

How to detect poisoning?

Should I panic if the dog ate grapes? Most likely, the answer will be in the affirmative, but the problem is that it is impossible to detect poisoning in the first minutes and hours. Keep a close watch on your pet for the first 6 hours after eating the berries and, if any condition worsens, go to the veterinarian. Long-term practice and observations of doctors made it possible to compose a symptomatic picture of poisoning with grapes and raisins:

  • The first symptoms appear within 4-6 hours.
  • Vomiting of incompletely digested berries is the first sign of poisoning.
  • Further, diarrhea develops, profuse salivation or lack of saliva, a decrease in body temperature.
  • After a complete refusal of food, the dog falls into apathy and whines. Often there is a strong tone of the abdominal wall - this means that the dog is hurt.
  • condition toxic shock can last up to 48 hours and leads to death (if the dog does not receive assistance).

What to do if you notice vague symptoms, but there was no vomiting? Offer the dog food or drink if the pet ignores the delicacy or there is a dry mouth - do not delay and contact your veterinarian!

Note! For an average dog (weighing up to 20 kg) 10 large grapes - this is already a dangerous "dose". For poisoning with raisins, 2-4 things are enough.

After arriving at the clinic, be sure to express your suspicions. Any veterinarian knows that grapes are dangerous for dogs, but similar symptoms can indicate a number of other problems. Monitor the doctor’s appointments, namely, make sure that the dog has received the following “services”:

  • Inspection and palpation (feeling with light pressure) of the abdominal cavity.
  • An extensive blood test - poisoning is indicated by increased renal and hepatic indicators (nitrogen, creatinine, calcium, potassium, phosphorus).
  • Ultrasound examination of the kidneys and abdominal organs - in case of grape poisoning, the dog has acute renal failure, which causes severe pain when trying to urinate, swelling, overflow of the bladder.

Note! Death due to grape poisoning occurs against the background of renal failure. The dog is poisoned by the breakdown products of its own organs and stagnant urine. If help is provided at the wrong time, the doctor may report permanent damage. In this case, the owner is offered the only alternative - humane euthanasia.

As practice shows, when seeking help in the first 20 hours and proper treatment, the chances of survival of the animal are almost 100%. In modern clinics, dogs are left under observation for two days. During treatment (even at home), regardless of symptoms and improvement, within 48 hours, the dog receives:

  • Saline solutions drip. If the pet is treated at home, an intravenous catheter is placed in it.
  • Drugs that stimulate the production of urine.
  • Therapy to support the kidneys and liver (depending on the condition at the time of admission).

Watch the video: How to Recognize the Signs & Symptoms of Canine Kidney Disease (November 2019).

Loading...